Garden Balls

So when I was at my mom’s house a while back, the kids and I decided to to a project for Nana. My mom loves to garden, so we thought a garden project would be perfect for her.

At Michael’s craft store I got some Styrofoam balls, grout, glue, stones, and various sized flat backed glass pieces. We started out by gluing the glass to the balls. we used E-6000 glue, which ate the foam a bit, but worked really well – I’m sure there is a glue out there that works perfectly for foam and glass, but the E-6000 did the job!

garden balls 4
Next we filled in all the blank spots with stones, we tried to use only flat stones, or we would squish any high points into the Styrofoam ball if needed.

garden balls 3
After waiting 24 hours we grouted the balls with black grout made from a powdered mix, we made it rather thick so that it really stayed in place in the whole ball and just rubbed it in with our hands. I waited about 5 minutes before I started wiping with a slightly damp sponge that I rinsed frequently.

garden balls 5
I thought my Mom would hide the balls amongst her plants, but instead she stuck them front and center by her front door. (Next to a plaque my big sister gave her!)

garden balls 1
garden balls 6

The biggest ball was the one I made, and the other 2 are the kids.

garden balls 2
The grout makes them waterproof, so they will last just fine in the elements, and they are fairly light weight since they have a foam core!
I would love to hear from you if you like these, or even better make some of your own!

Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party Blue Cricket Design Show and Tell

– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

122 comments for “Garden Balls

1. August 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love these!

FYI–you’ve got word verification on. It discourages lots of people from commenting–extra steps and all.

• February 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, I’ve turned it off now.

• Barb
      February 9, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Can’t wait to try this. My garden is full of ecclectic items as this. So cool

April 1, 2012 at 2:09 am

just did it in my arts and crafts class, still have to work on improving grout mixture but I will do it again..

April 6, 2012 at 1:07 am

What a great idea! They turned out beautiful & no two will be alike.

April 11, 2012 at 7:13 am

Love the idea! The foam being light weight, make a great projest for kids too!

April 20, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I’m going to try to make these. I love them!

April 27, 2012 at 3:38 am

A few years ago I bought tons of the colored glass stones to make stepping stones but never got around to it and wondered what to do with all of them! I am thrilled to have found your idea! Can’t wait to get at this project! Thanks!

• Karie Case
      May 5, 2012 at 12:36 am

I have used this technique however, I used bowling balls and made large gazing balls. I used silicone to attach my glass peices and stones. You have to work on sections of the bowling ball at a time and then wait for it to dry. I have also used stained glass, broken up mirror as well as stones and gems. Then grouted as you did using either white or black grout. This technique aslo works well on table tops, and old window panels. Just remember to take them in in cold Northern weather.

June 4, 2012 at 1:46 am

I’m never sure how to comment on these thing.
      One more very important step. Sealing the grout.

• June 4, 2012 at 3:41 am

Great Idea! We never did this on my mom’s, and she hasn’t had a problem, but I bet this would work wonders anywhere there is a lot of changeable weather!

August 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

I think that would make great gifts!! Love it!

August 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

I did this with bathroom calk adhesive and bowling balls. They turned out great

August 27, 2012 at 4:47 am

Can’t wait to try this!

September 7, 2012 at 12:15 am

I made these last night. Fun to do, one is all colored glass marbles. the other is small shells and blue & green marbles and sea glass. Tonight I will grout them! Thanks for the idea!

September 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hi. Great idee. I am defnitely going to try it. I did some mosaic on building bricks with tiles and mirror. Put a piece of filt on the bottom of the brick and use it for a doorstop.

February 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

CAN’T WAIT TO MAKE THEM WITH. MY GRANDKIDS!!

February 21, 2013 at 4:58 am

This sounds like a great project and I’ve been looking for something like this to do in my garden,so I’m going to give it a try,Thanks for the post and the pictures.

May 27, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Please use latex gloves when rubbing in the grout, otherwise it will eat into your skin. I still have problems from the time I grouted without gloves.

• Anita Wylie
      June 4, 2013 at 3:22 am

These look really good. Going to make them for home with my kids plus will probably make some with the children I work with at a primary school. Thankyou.

June 17, 2013 at 1:22 am

I have some old softballs that I was planning on using. Thanks for the tips!

2. August 15, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Just found you through MMM on C.R.A.F.T!

Love these! They came out great!!

Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters!

3. August 16, 2011 at 6:27 am

Those are adorable.Tess

February 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

Love this!! I think I will try it!!Thanks!!!

February 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm

These look amazing I am definitely trying them, my family and I are always picking up pretty rocks. This will give us something to do with them.

6. BJ
    February 10, 2012 at 3:29 am

Great idea! I would like to try this with broken dishes, and/or stones from gardens of loved ones passed. …memory balls! Thanks for the idea!

7. gardenerd
    February 12, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I’ve seen this done a lot with bowling balls.

February 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

a great summer project.

9. Lee
    February 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Great idea! I think I might try it with the shells and sea glass we collect every summer, too.

10. February 25, 2012 at 10:01 pm

So pretty and clever!

March 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

Saw these on Pinterest and since you posted this on my birthday, now I have to do it! I can envision lots of variations! Thanks!

April 1, 2012 at 2:11 am

did this in my arts and crafts class. will have to work on grout mixture but I will do it again. great and beautiful project..love it.

April 1, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I love finding new things to do with my grand children and this was is going to be great fun. Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait to start these with the kids!

14. OK Girl
    April 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

Going to start collecting glass baubles and rocks etc. and make some of these this weekend. Very cool idea, great craft idea to do with my 11 yr. old son.

thanks

15. April 12, 2012 at 12:00 am

Great, they are beautiful. I have made these before and love them. One thing I like to do is put words or pictures under the gems so they are magnified. It’s like the magnets you make from the gems. Cut out the word or picture and glue them to the back then glue them to the ball. http://craftsuppliesforless.com/bubblemagnets.html is a link to see what I mean.

• September 17, 2012 at 1:01 am

Thanks for the great idea! I’m taking a mirror mosaic class soon with a couple girlfriends. I just inked their names on white cardstock and glued them to the small stones. They can use them on this project, as their “signature” or another in the future. Dixie

April 12, 2012 at 1:20 am

Love this Idea. I am going to make some for my patio!

17. misty
    April 12, 2012 at 3:30 am

I found this via pinterest. Love the idea and plan on doing this with my kids! Thanks for sharing!

18. April 12, 2012 at 4:42 am

Such a great idea!!! love it!!!

April 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

definitely going to do this with my kids this summer! Great idea.

20. tres
    April 16, 2012 at 6:28 am

I bought a premix grout will this work o.k.?

• April 17, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work, although I think I would use a sanded premix; you need the body of the sanded grout to fill all of the irregular spaces since you can’t control the thickness of the grout.

21. April 26, 2012 at 5:37 am

Getting ready to make these with my kids for my Mom-in-law. I bought 6″ balls but am now wondering if we should go a little bigger, I also bought the premixed grout as that is all our Michael’s had. Just looked and it’s non-sanded, guess it’s back to the store I go. Thoughts on ball size? LOL!

• April 26, 2012 at 11:37 am

I would think that the 6″ balls would work, it really depends on what you are putting on them, and what you want the finished size to be (if you are putting thick things they will make the ball bigger, thin things less so, etc.) The reason I like the sanded grout of you have a premix is because it has more body, so it stays in the uneven gaps better (if you mix your own grout you can make it thicker by adding a little bit less water)

Good Luck!

April 28, 2012 at 5:34 am

Great for all that beach glass, and colored pebbles even shells!

April 30, 2012 at 12:02 am

can’t wait to try this. love this idea !

May 2, 2012 at 2:08 am

I am using half of an 8 inch styrofoam ball this I found at Michaels. I guess I will need to grout the flat bottom. I had somewhat of a hard time getting my stones to stick with the E6000. Not sure how much grout to use–the whole 6 oz pkg?

• May 2, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’m afraid that I am not much help in how much grout you will need, since I would imagine it would vary depending on how close or far apart your stones are, and several other variables….Maybe mix smaller amounts of grout together and then mix more as/if you need it?

We really didn’t have any trouble getting the stones to attach, but we pushed on them pretty firmly and let them sink a tiny bit into where the E6000 ate the foam, so they stuck pretty firmly, I don’t know if pushing harder, adding less or more glue, or what would help, sorry I’m not much good to you with trouble shooting since we really didn’t run into any trouble!

Good Luck!

May 6, 2012 at 2:26 am

Now I know what to do with all the old glass and ceramic things I have that were grandparents or full of memories such as my ceramic tea set from Germany (it is cracked) but I don’t want to get rid of it, now I don’t have to..completely. Great idea! Thanks for sharing it!

May 6, 2012 at 2:28 am

Does the grout in the tubes work? Like the stuff you use with tile?

May 6, 2012 at 2:30 am

Does the grout in a tube work? Such as you use with tile?

May 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

I love this simple project…great for making with my grand kids! Thanks!

May 7, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thanks for this idea!Love that the styro-balls are smaller,lighter than the so familiar bowling ball idea,so this will be better project to do with my grandchildren this Summer in Central TX!And I can see it is so adaptable too!Thanks again for sharing this!!!

May 15, 2012 at 10:49 am

I just finished making two dozen of these!!!!!!….in 2 days! So easy and fun! I get teased that I never do anything in moderation….. But watch….they will be gone in a flash as little gifts for friends…. And soon I will have orders from people wanting to buy them! AHHHHH…. I love being retired! Thanks for the idea!

• September 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

Ha ha ha. That’s my sister in a nutshell. She doesn’t make one of anything!!

31. May 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

They look fabulous! A word to the wise tho….I made these several years ago and did exactly what you did. However, when left out in the elements, the grout broke down ( just during one season) and fell off the Styrofoam! I was so bummed. So, indoor placing would be just fine but outdoor, I would keep an eye on them!

• May 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

My mom has had her’s outside full time since we made these in the Summer of 2010, and they actually still look like they did the day we made them! My mom lives in AZ though so maybe having a mild winter would make a difference (my original fear that they would melt in the sun has not been a problem at all) It’s possible that the type of grout makes a difference, or maybe even the type of glue you used that gave you problems?

June 29, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Ceashells – someone mentioned earlier…
      “AnonymousJune 3, 2012 9:46 AM
      I’m never sure how to comment on these thing.
      One more very important step. Sealing the grout.
      Head over to a home improvement store and get grout sealer and put several coats on, until it beads up. Otherwise they will fall apart.” So if you seal them they should be ok??

• June 30, 2012 at 7:04 am

I never sealed ours, and several years on they are still perfect, but I bet it couldn’t hurt!

June 4, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I love them. can’t wait to make them myself…great idea

June 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I think this was my favorite pinterest so far and believe me, I am addicted! I was thinking BIGGER with a kids ball…

June 21, 2012 at 8:40 am

Love the look of these. I might even add some glass beads I have been saving. Thanks for the idea.

July 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love this and can’t wait to make some. I have lots of stained glass pieces, glass marbles, beads, stones, etc. I would seal the grout though, plus ot gives it a little shine. I am wondering what a solar light would look like in one of them? HUMMMM, Thinking!

36. July 4, 2012 at 5:14 am

What a great tutorial!
    I’d really love to try these. Such fun!
    Would be great for recycling all the bits and bobs hanging around in my studio, too!
    Cheers,
    Karen

37. July 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

Very cute.

38. July 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

Love the idea of using styrofoam balls. I’m used bowling ball and rubber balls to do thisproject.

• July 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I’ve never heard of using rubber balls for any sort of thing like this, wouldn’t the grout crack off?

39. July 25, 2012 at 12:20 am

Your mosaic garden balls are beautiful! And what a wonderful tutorial, too. I’m inspired! I shared a link to your tutorial from my blog Crafts ‘n Coffee. I’m hoping to craft a few of these myself! Thank you. Sharon

July 27, 2012 at 8:25 am

Such a cute idea!! My daughter used to bring me every heart shaped stone she would find when she was little…… Now I know what to do with all of them!!!! Love this!! Can’t wait to try!!! Thank you!!!

41. July 30, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I did this same thing with my sister about 5 years ago. The balls sit in my flower gardens and are still holding together!

August 2, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Tried this today, total disaster -couldn’t get anything to stay put. Everything kept falling off. Very frustrating for the grandchildren!

• August 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m sorry you had a hard time! I’m not sure why you couldn’t get things to stick as we didn’t have a problem, but I can see how frustrating it would be if you couldn’t get anything to stick!

43. Shana
    August 8, 2012 at 2:07 am

Love this idea! I’m picturing these beautiful balls placed throughout my yard and garden. Have you tried poking a small metal or wooden rod through the ball prior to grouting so it can stand on its own?

44. August 30, 2012 at 4:01 am

What a great idea. I love it and I will have to try it out. Thanks for sharing.

45. September 17, 2012 at 1:09 am

I can’t wait to buy some styrofoam balls. I’ve been a crafter for 30+ years…..and I couldn’t believe I didn’t have any on hand. All the other stuff for this project, but not the styrofoam. Too funny. Thanks for sharing this great idea.

46. October 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

I am anxious to try these … saw them on Pinterest. Wonder how they would work with even larger styrofoam balls. Hummm…I’ll start out with small and work up to larger.

47. November 19, 2012 at 6:36 am

If you paint the foam balls first the glue wont eat the foam. (Spray paint will eat the foam also) Cool idea. Will be doing this with my boys today.

November 27, 2012 at 4:23 am

I need help on the glue suggestion. I just attempted this with pieces of mirror. I thought I could do one with mirror and some with glass. I had a real problem with my glue. I used Goop – the stryrofoam collapsed, I attempted to mold it but that didn’t work. What is everyone using for glue?

• November 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I used E-6000 for the stones, and they ate the styrofoam a little, but because of the bulk they just sank in and seated nicely in the foam. for mirrors I would use a mirror mastic, since other glues could eat through the foil on the back of the mirror and look bad from the front.

49. January 20, 2013 at 7:22 am

You know what would be cool? Those plastic balls that break in half – that are used for christmas ornaments – you could glue the stuff on each half and put lights inside it with the cord coming out of the ornament hanger hole. Then after it’s finished the light would shine out the glass beads only. You could use solar lights too…

February 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

these are too cool. i’m a gardner and so are my friends. these i’ll make for me and for gifts!!!

February 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Fantastic wеb site. Plеnty of useful
    informаtion hеre. I’m sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you on your sweat!

my webpage … http://me.ihappy.vn/index.php?do=/blog/8821/V2-cigs-enjoy-Smoking-with-distinct-types

February 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

Нeyа i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Here is my web-site silk n sensepil reviews

53. March 2, 2013 at 11:16 am

This looks like such a fun thing to do! I’m a rock lover anyway and this sounds like the perfect craft to do while waiting for spring to arrive! Then I could scatter them through the flower garden! Thank you for sharing.

March 5, 2013 at 8:53 am

fаntaѕtic put uρ, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t unԁеrstаnd this.

Yοu ѕhoulԁ continuе youг writing.
    I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base alreadу!

My web page – Simply click the next Internet page

March 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Whеn I oгіginally left a commеnt
    Ӏ seem to have clіcked оn
    thе -Notifу me ωhen new cоmmеnts aгe added- cheсkbox аnd nοω whеnever а сomment iѕ adԁed I recieve fοur emаils with the same comment.
    Therе has to be a meаns уou аrе
    аblе to remove mе from that ѕerviсe?

Ϲheers!

Feеl free to surf tο my hοmеρage; V2 Cigs reviews

March 9, 2013 at 1:43 am

Mу brothеr recommended I might liκe this ωеbsite.
    Ηe wаs entiгely rіght.
    Thiѕ post truly made my dаy. Υou can not imagine just hοw
    much tіme Ι had spеnt fοr this
    info! Тhаnks!

Havе а look at mу blog post – V2 Cigs Reviews

March 10, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I love what you guyѕ are up too. This kinԁ οf cleѵer worκ and
    reporting! Keеp up the good woгks guyѕ I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

Also visit my website :: http://www.whapah.nl
    My web site: you24us.com

March 11, 2013 at 1:37 am

Wow, thіѕ artiсle is gοod, mу youngеr siѕter is аnalyzing
    such thingѕ, so I am going tο infoгm her.

my blog post; v2 cig review

59. March 27, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I’m into this type of designs cuz they can verily give contrast to rooms or to any designs imo.
    glass and stone mosaic

60. April 3, 2013 at 12:01 am

Nice article and great knowledge. Thanks for the share. I love this story and enjoy with your words!

glass and stone mosaic

61. April 6, 2013 at 12:13 am

I plan on making these as gifts for mothers day. Thank yoh for the simlpe wonderful idea!

May 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for the idea! I have a plastic birdbath that would look great using this idea.

May 27, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’ve used bowling balls. I’ve used metalic glass tiles (like you would buy at Lowe’s for a kitchen wall) and I apply them with clear silicone caulk, using a caulking gun. You have to do smaller sections at a time and break up a few tiles to fill in smaller areas. I did not grout them and they look good since the tiles are close together. If you used grout, you probably wouldn’t have to fill in smaller spaces with broken tiles. I live in the Northeast and leave them out year round.

64. June 18, 2013 at 2:16 am

Fabulous work!
    pontiac auto glass

65. June 20, 2013 at 8:19 am

I love this project and I have everything except for the grout. I just don’t know where to buy it, or how to make grout. Can you please explain? Thank you.

66. July 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Beautiful garden walls, I love it. Excellent work…!!

67. August 3, 2013 at 6:09 am

Nice article and great knowledge about glass and stone mosaic . I love this story and enjoy with your words!

68. September 26, 2013 at 10:12 pm

This is a Great a Idea! I do Lots of mosaicing with broken dishes and glass pcs, so this will be one that I will try. How have they held up after all these years? Does she bring them inside in winter? I mosaic bowling balls and toilet tank lids, but I cover them up in winter. I also seal the grout with Minwax clear poly.

• September 27, 2013 at 12:13 am

Thanks Tony! They have held up! I’m actually visiting my mother right now, and they still look like they were made yesterday! She doesn’t brim them in, in the winter, because she lives in Arizona, they don’t very often have freezes, if she lived someplace else with snow, she might need to!

69. December 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Catherine and the kids made these for me several years ago, and they bring joy to me every time I walk through my entry. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! They have weathered beautifully! They still look perfect, in fact.

70. July 29, 2014 at 5:07 am

Helo terrific blog! Does running a blog likje this take a large amount of work?
    I’ve virtually no understanding oof prograkming but I had been hoping too start my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you have any recommendations
    or tips for new blog owners pleaee share. I know this is off subject but I simply had
    to ask. Kudos!
    social media management Welwyn Garden City recently posted…social media management Welwyn Garden CityMy Profile

71. Kathleen
    August 10, 2014 at 1:00 am

The pictures are not showing up. Do you have them posted anywhere else? Great idea!

• cathgrace
      August 14, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I’m so sorry Kathleen, I don’t know what happened, I will get my IT guy (my hubby) on it right away!
      cathgrace recently posted…Dry Erase Teen ArtMy Profile

72. Suzanne
    August 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I am always doing craft projects and now looking to share with my grandson. I ABSOLUTELY love these balls. I also do stained glass so always have tons of glass pieces all colors in tiny sizes left over. I would love to make these for garden as well as inside decorations. I can’t wait !!!! They would be GREAT gifts to give for the holidays too… Thank you for your spectacular idea !!!!

73. Lisa
    October 20, 2014 at 12:11 pm

These would be perfect in my garden with its fairies!

74. cora lee wallin
    October 8, 2015 at 8:18 am

I want to do this with old cds help me with the color pla

75. Sunbie Harrell
    March 17, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Where does one find used bowling balls for crafts? Even used bowling balls are rather pricey for this project. I think I’ll try the styrofoam ball first. Any recommendation on glue? I was wondering if the grout and sealer will be enough to protect it from falling apart so that the glue just functions more for holding the stones and such in place until it is grouted.

76. July 17, 2016 at 5:31 am

I see you don’t monetize your page,i read interesting article how to earn some additional cash and increase traffic using one simple method, just search in google for: Twardziel advices
    Blaine recently posted…BlaineMy Profile

77. March 9, 2017 at 2:18 pm

busca dos amigas lhamadas Mercedes e Rosário que son amigas minhas que las ha conocido ha 30 anos…nunca mas ha sabido nada delhas…So lo sei que mercedes trabalhava en una bodega e Rosário vivia com sus padres en un colegio .Gerez ha sido la mi tierra de la juE.LtudeeMIGUvn-PORTUGAL

78. March 9, 2017 at 4:11 pm

God morgen. Jeg synes Bestlite lampene definitivt er finest i svart! Har selv flere fogisjellkre modeller i den fargen, og ellers mest hvitt interiør. Kontraster er flott- og lampenes design kommer bedre frem da. Lykke til med valget, flotte lamper:-)

79. March 9, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Good children sex information here. I really enjoy reading them every day. I’ve learned a lot from them.Thanks so much for sharing this inoanmotifr. Greatly help me being a newbie.

80. March 9, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I am also guilty of not basting enough. It17&28#;s my least favourite step, and I’ve had ripply backs and had to pick out the stitches. sigh. thanks for the chance to win.

81. March 9, 2017 at 4:25 pm

I love the look of the new design. The font seems slightly smaller than the original design but it is easy to make it larger so that was not a problem for me. I esceliaply love the change to the comments. I think this is great

82. March 9, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Gratulálok és köszönöm a legÅse‘téhet, hogy a mostani kezdÅ‘ tanfolyamba is belenézhetek, nagy segítség, hogy tudok ismételni! Fantasztikus dolog, hogy ennyire tudsz másokat inspirálni. Most, hogy gyakrabban keresgélek oldalakat és letölthetÅ‘ anyagokat a hálón, csak ráklikkelek arra, ami tetszik, hihetetlen, de mindig a Te oldalaid valamelyikét találom meg Remélem, én nyerem meg a készleteket.

83. March 9, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Whoever wrote this, you know how to make a good arlicte.

84. May 17, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Ma question demeure…on trace la ligne où entre confiance et naïveté Tsé quand tu sors avec une belle femme c’est SÛR qu’elle va se faire approcher/ que des hommes vont tenter de la séduire même en sachant qu’elle a un chum…Lui faire confiance c’est accepter que la situation se produise en assumant qu’elle sait gérer ca comme il faut par elle-même.