Project Run and Play Week 3 "Sewing through the Decades"

So we are in week 3 of Project Run and Play and this weeks theme is “Sewing through the Decades” I have managed to NOT win any of the two previous weeks viewer participation competition, (not that I thought I would, I actually totally called the winner of week one before it happened!) but I wish I knew where I was in the running. I wonder if the judges would think of releasing a top 5 or something just to get an idea of whether I’m close to the mark, or totally bombing? I have much older children then most of the people playing, maybe the cuteness factor just isn’t there? (note to self, acquire cuter, younger, children…) UMMMMM………. totally kidding (unless it really would help…) no kidding, definitely kidding.

It’s not actually about winning really, I am LOVING the motivation to get stuff done on a deadline, but I start school tomorrow, and it’s going to KILL me to keep doing this and school (18 credit FINAL semester, can I get a WHOOT WHOOT!) and if there is no way I am even competitive, I want to be put out to pasture now rather then later when I am just a dead horse.
I HAVE however completed this week’s challenge (and next week’s as well actually,) *and* next week I will also have an awesome giveaway (my first) related to next week’s project, to a lucky follower who leaves me a comment on that post, so there you go, something to look forward to!
ANYWAY time for the grand reveal of this weeks ensemble…….

Yup, I totally went *groovy baby* and went with the 60’s. My “British Invasion” 60’s outfit was inspired by my father; when I was a little girl I remember him having a cassette tape called “The British Sixties” and we would always play it on car trips. (My father is English and was a teen in the 60’s) When going through his photo albums as a child, I remember being struck by all the fabulous mod 60’s fashion!
And in case you were wondering I do <3 The Beatles!
Doesn’t her hair make you die? She asked me to do it this way for school tomorrow!

The whole dress is made from stretch knits, and it is all  in one piece and  slides over the head.

It was so funny, she asked me “Who are the Beatles?” I guess she didn’t want to advertise something she didn’t agree with! Luckily, after playing her some songs she does indeed love the Beatles, especially “Can’t Bye Me Love” and the Shrek song.

The print on the front came from an XL shirt from Walmart, I just cut the front and back of my pattern from the shirt as if it were fabric. I loved the shiny red foil heart.

I added a wide 60’s style headband to the look, and she loved it! I asked her “do you look like you are from the 60’s?” and her answer was “I totally do if this is what someone from the 60’s looks like!!!”

Yup, this is what someone from the 60’s totally looks like!

The black and red fabric is a really soft double knit I got at Hancock’s, I love that the design is knitted into the fabric, rather than printed on top. The faux belt is appliqued on and is made from a foiled, flannel backed, pleather.

I love that bump in the back of her hair, so stink’n cute.
As far as the pattern was concerned, I made it very much like my Anthropologie “In an Instant” dress knockoff, with just a couple of changes to the scale of various bits like the sleeves and where the waist line fell etc.
Anyway, please leave me any comments you would like to (I love comments!) and I also love followers!

linked up at

C.R.A.F.T.

THE GIRL CREATIVE Sew Chatty Photobucket

22 comments for “Project Run and Play Week 3 "Sewing through the Decades"

1. January 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I love this! Your model, the dress and photography are all gorgeous!
    I’m a bit obsessed by PRP at the moment, too…

2. January 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I also love this! Too stinkin’ gorgeous. You are seriously talented.

3. January 18, 2012 at 3:26 am

Cath this is fantastic! Emmie looks so much older. Wow!

• January 18, 2012 at 6:46 am

Thanks, I am pretty sure that’s the extra height from the bump-it!

January 18, 2012 at 4:32 am

Adorable, but where are her white go-go boots to really make it authentic?

• January 18, 2012 at 6:46 am

Thanks, that’s the funny thing, I had boots for her, and she looked wrong, then I remembered all the pictures my dad had of the 60’s from his mission, and the women all had knee high socks and shoes, so I swapped her out last minute, and it looked more right to me!!

5. January 18, 2012 at 5:59 am

oh, I think you’re in the top 5 especially with those boy jeans you sewed & all the time & detail you put into them !
    from all of the items you have sewn for these 3 weeks you have proven that you are an accomplished seamstress !
    60’s British invasion was a great idea, I like the fact that this outfit is all one piece, cool double knit fabric you found & I love her hair !!!
    that’s so funny that she asked ‘who are the Beatles?’ it would be like today someone asking ‘who is Justin Bieber?’
    I’m taking this week off, but I’m excited to see what everyone else makes for sewing through the decades.
    you’re going back to school? oh, I’m curious to know what you’re studying…
    PS I’m a follower 🙂

• January 18, 2012 at 6:43 am

Thanks so much, I love compliments! (actually that’s a total lie, I am terrible at taking compliments!) The funny thing about my daughter is, she doesn’t know much about Justin Bieber either since we aren’t a very current household! Thanks for following! I am at school for Historical Craft and Costume Studies with an emphasis in the Renaissance and Restoration period centered around Florence Italy and Germany in the early to mid 16th century. (That’s fancy talk for I sew, weave, and embroider, historical clothing and objects for museums and historical societies, and I happen to like the Renaissance best, so studied it more.)

I like making the children’s clothing because it’s so different from anything I do for work/school, I can use machines, and pretty fabric without worrying about how period correct it is, AND it will actually get worn!

• January 19, 2012 at 6:11 am

I love it! I think you did a great job.

• January 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thank You Very Much!

6. January 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

so cute! love how you repurposed the shirt!

• January 20, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Thanks, I love finding existing prints that just need a tweak to be better!

7. January 20, 2012 at 4:37 am

This is just adorable! Wow. Nice work!

• January 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Thank You so much, I appreciate you stopping by!

8. January 25, 2012 at 5:58 am

This is similar to one of the projects you did a while back with an oversized T-shirt. Looks great!!

9. January 25, 2012 at 6:04 am

The anthro dress…

• January 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Good eye! I used a very similar technique.

10. Shireen
    January 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hi ,

Don’t underestimate yourself ! Your submissions for PR&P have been way above the rest , I simply cannot understand why you didn’t win. They should have has a viewer’s choice for the sew along too , you’d have won hands down. BTW , your outerwear submission is simply too fabulous to be described. Such a professional look ! I have been eyeing that custom ribbing for the last 10 mins! I’m sure you have a winner there. And I am also sure about one thing – you’ll be invited as a participant in the next season of PR &P. Mark my words !
    -Shireen , following all the way from India 🙂

• January 31, 2012 at 2:55 am

Thank you so much for your kindness Shireen, you are too good to me! Thank you for following too!