Emmie’s Phases of the Moon Project

Emmie came home today saying she needed to make a model of the phases of the moon; we came up with a paper mâché box, with a styrofoam ball spinning on a wood peg axis.

There is a little knob on top that you spin to rotate the moon through its phases.

And a hole cut in the front to show the changing moon.

We used the end of a fat paintbrush to dimple the ball for craters, and dry-brushed it grey and white.

Emmie did the painting and added the stars with a pin head, but I cut the hole in the box and drilled the holes for the feet and stuff since that involved tools and knives. We gave it little feet so it would sit level on its side, with the back feet being longer than the front.

I thought this turned out rather cutely even though I burned my hand like a spaz with the hot glue gun (it dripped straight through the hole in the center of the moon/ball.) I now have a big blister on my right hand – good thing I’m left handed I guess!

– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Thanks for reading!

Catherine

7 comments for “Emmie’s Phases of the Moon Project

1. Mr CG
    February 24, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Shame, I’m so sorry you burned your hand, that sounds really sore. I hope you were able to find the second skin stuff and/or some aloe creme or something. Wonderful job on the moon project…what a fabulous and creative approach!

2. February 24, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Very cool and inventive. Proud of Emmie.
    And tell her she can share pictures we took from the here: http://lro.gsfc.nasa.gov/

3. February 25, 2012 at 12:50 am

this is such a cool idea ~ I’ll have to show this to my 2nd son, they studied moon phases back in the fall…

4. February 25, 2012 at 7:32 am

Too cool!

5. March 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Don’t you wish you had been your own mom and helped yourself do cool stuff like that for school!!??

6. October 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Could you do a how-to, please? Because I need to do something like this for a school project and I have to give the project plan to my teacher. Thanks.

• October 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I’m so sorry, I totally would except I live in South Korea now, and actually have no idea where to find the things needed to make it! I used a paper mache box from Hobby Lobby as well as a foam ball and wood from there.

The ball needs to be as big as you can get while still able to rotate in the box, and you need 6 little wood pegs with knobs on the end for the feet and the pegs for the axis.

We cut a circular hole in the lid with a craft knife that was 1/2 the size of the box lid, and then drew 2 circles on the foam ball the same size as that hole (on opposite sides) those holes are what we painted blue, the rest of the ball was painted light gray (and we used the end of a paint brush to dimple the ball to look like a moon.) we drilled holes in the corners and hot glued the legs on, and then drilled holes and added the axis pegs, and painted everything.

Sorry if that wasn’t an overly helpful description, I wish I had taken pictures while we did this project, but unfortunately, we rushed through it as quickly as possible because it was due the next day.