Well, I finally was able to take Emmie out to have her picture taken today, it has been raining here, and I needed a break in the weather to take her “on location” for her shoot.
Are you ready for my offering for Project Run and Play‘s week 5? No? Please look at it?!?!
Okay, here it is…..
I’m calling it “The Lion King Dress” for lack of a better name……… maybe cheetah princess? Um no. Anyway, we have tickets to go to the Broadway version of “The Lion King” next week, and I decided Emmie’s special occasion outfit should be a new formal dress to wear for the show. (We always get dressed up to go to the theater, I think it makes the occasion more special and you *feel* differently about the event. When we took the kids to “Wicked” we were the only ones dressed up in the theater and we actually had several ushers and cast members thank us for making the effort.)
I used burda pattern 9545 for the starting shape of the dress bodice, but pretty much changed everything, I am going to be adding a tutorial for this dress to the blog this week, (edit, here is the tutorial) I just need to get it written between classes and my fieldwork.
The flowers at the waist of this dress are pins that can be moved around, I prefer them on the shoulder, but you can’t see them under the jacket that way!
I made 6 custom flowers for this dress, sewn from layers of the interlining fabric, the tulle, and buttons. They are all sewn onto a pin base so they can be moved around. (The ones in her hair just have hairpins pushed through the pin portion.)
The bolero jacket is made from cotton velveteen and has a double collar with sailor style tie ends, and tulip cap sleeves. The edges are bordered by Japan gold passing embroidery thread in a large running stitch. It closes at the neck with a single hook and eye, and is lined in the base dress animal print. (My daughter has already pointed out to me that she can wear it with other clothes too.