Project Run and Play Week 6 "Signature Style"

Well, it’s finally here, I’ve got pictures of my signature look for Project Run and Play‘s sew along group. I’ve blooming talked about it enough, so I think I will start with the pictures, and then explain the look as I go, rather than getting long winded here at the top!

Introducing my signature look, “April Showers”

“April Showers” Raincoat, Skinny Jeans, Top, and Matching Umbrella

I made the raincoat, umbrella, skinny jeans, shirt, and necklace for this outfit, which was inspired by my love of Anthropologie, and for real clothes that little girls can wear and still look like little girls in real, modest, clothes. (without being baby.) I would say that more than anything, my signature look would be things that are not only cute, but practical and  wearable as “real” clothes. I love making unique things that make people ask “Where did you get that?” rather then “did you make that?”

Emmie loved how this coat turned out, I actually bought all the materials for the coat way back in outerwear week for Project Run and Play, but since I decided to use the Letterman’s jacket instead, I thought this week would be the perfect opportunity to get it made. I have a red velvet coat from Anthropologie that inspired this look as per Emmie’s request, but I obviously had to add my own twist!

I made this coat out of 3 different laminated cottons, white faux fur, reflective piping and toggles, and a quilted lining. About 4 inches of the bottom of the sleeves have some of the laminated cotton in the lining, so they can be turned back as cuffs while the sleeves are too long, and then turned back down as she grows.

This coat is a little big for her right now, I made it to fit the measurements of an average 12 year-old, so she won’t outgrow it soon.

The collar has the most amazing texture, I love how crazy the fur is, and that it warms around her neck, without being too much, and that since it is already rather matted, water isn’t going to ruin it either, since it will just dry looking matted.
The hem was rather a challenge, since I decided to add an inset curved piece rather than anything straight – oh and I added a not at all stretchy plastic reflective piping too! Trying to sew laminated cotton into a curve was very exciting as there is NO room for error, and you really can’t ease anything.

The toggles are made from wood toggles that I bought ready made, and then I dry-brushed them turquoise and sealed them with varnish. The reflective bits that hold the toggles on are made from reflective tape ironed onto a stabilizer, shaped, sewn down, and then riveted, etc. The piping is also made from reflective material, that when it catches the light it goes from grey to white.

The zipper is silver, and has a great chevron in the twill tape. I feel like the reflective piping and toggles are not only just plain cool in their effect, but also great for safety on a rainy day as she will be more visible.
Here is the best picture I have of the lining; the raincoat is fully lined in a natural colored, pre-quilted cotton fabric, and will be lovely and warm for her all through the rainy spring, and then again in the fall and during the milder bits of winter.
I added my label in the back of the lining with my embroidery machine, as well as the size, so that when Emmie outgrows this I can pass it on without anyone having to guess what size it is. (This picture shows the reflective bits really well.)
The umbrella was made from a $3 neon pink one from IKEA that I took apart and remade in clear vinyl, and the laminated cotton. I added a ruffle to the bottom to make it extra *fancy* for her. She really likes the clear bits because she can hug the umbrella down tightly to her body, and still be able to see through the umbrella while she walks.
The top is made from a quilter’s cotton, with a ruffled asymmetrical hem, and sweet little puffed sleeves that also have ruffles on the bottom. I added a shot silk taffeta bow brooch in a lovely teal color that for me adds youth to the top, and a sense of playfulness.
Alternatively though, you can take the bow off and add a necklace for more of a “big girl” look. (This picture also shows the jeans without the boots.)
The back of the top has an inset ruffled gore leading to the longer curved bottom, with a cute little bow on the top of the triangle. I added a little keyhole at the neck too, with a little button so she can slip the top over her head.
Here is a better photo of the bow, with a view of the ruffle at the bottom of the sleeves. I always like to squash my ruffles with a nice hot iron, I don’t like them looking too puffy as that is where things stop being “real” looking to me, and become more “homemade” looking.
There is a little pinch pleat at the front neck that the bow covers, which I think is really flattering in a smock style shirt.
The necklace was inspired by this one at Anthropologie, and it took forever to make! I was counting out 40 green, 40 cream, 40 green, 40 turquoise, 60 green, 40 turquoise, 40 green, 40 cream, 40 green. wash, rinse, repeat, 14 times.
The jeans are made from a stretch denim that I over-dyed teal, and then pinstriped by top-stitching lines out of 6 different colors of cotton thread, in random stripes. The jeans are made just like real jeans, with zips, rivits, pockets, etc.
The back pockets are embroidered with rose motifs in the same colors of cotton thread as the pinstripes.
Gotta love her skinny little pins!
This picture is her trying to give her dad the stink-eye, she couldn’t stop herself from smiling though she loves him so much! The poor little thing was such a trooper! Conveniently for my raincoat themed outfit it rained all day, but she has been battling allergies and her little eyes kept watering and she was sneezing the whole time, with little black asthmatic dark circles under her eyes. She LOVED the coat though, and stayed warm the whole time (unless I was making her stand in the cold so I could photograph the shirt and jeans!!!)
Hmmmm, I wonder if it’s still raining? It seems to have lightened a little….. ugh, water in the eye!!!!!!

Anyway, here is my offering for signature look, I hope you like it and I would love to hear what you think and any questions you may have. I’ll let you all know if I get selected for the final 5, and then let you know how to go on over and vote for your favorite look this weekend! (edit: I got selected for the final 5! please go here to vote for your favorite look until Sunday night of February 19th)

I would also like to add what a trooper Paul was; he stood in the rain for over an hour while holding an umbrella over me and my camera – all the while waiting for a call from the military about his travel arrangements for his trip, which he is supposed to leave for at any moment they get his travel arranged. (He’s not going anywhere dangerous or classified or I wouldn’t say anything.) So thanks babe for spending your last little bit of time with me in the rain!

45 comments for “Project Run and Play Week 6 "Signature Style"

1. Mr. CG
    February 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm

The photos you’ve selected make me smile…they show your beautiful work and you’ve once again captured Emmie being Emmie. It was absolutely my pleasure to spend time with you today; thanks for letting me be your key grip. 🙂

• February 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Snakes babe, I am grateful for your encouragement and support!

2. February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

That is just amazing, I am in awe of your sewing skills! I would totally wear that coat! Even though I am competing also, I think you totally deserve to win! Gorgeous!

• February 18, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Thank you, you are so sweet to me!

3. February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

All I can say is W-O-W! W-O-W! Wow!!!!!!!!!!

4. February 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Oh my goodness what a perfect outfit! I would LOVE a coat like that in my size and in my daughter’s size. 🙂 Love the fabric combos and the coordinating umbrella and the pinstripes you added to the jeans. Wow. 🙂

• February 18, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to make!

5. February 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Those jeans are amazing. The stripes really are fantastic. You can tell a lot of work went into this look!

6. February 17, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Wowzers!! Each piece is fabulous…once again your attention to detail ROCKS! You have to do the open audition for next season’s PR&P as your talent deserves to be showcased.:)

• February 18, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Thank you very much! I’m not sure that I will do the open auditions this time round, since the season will be going on all through my finals at school, and I don’t know that I want to try to stretch myself that far, but I would definitely love to participate at some point!

7. Jo
    February 18, 2012 at 5:33 am

You sewed those pinstripes YOURSELF?!?! I’m headed back to PR&P to vote for you straightaway! I love the coat, too, by the way: the fabric mix, the reflective accents, everything!

8. February 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

that raincoat is absolutely AMAZING !!! would you please make one for me & my daughter? I love the design & all the details !

will you be having tutorials for all of this? or maybe some more details on how to make some of this? like on that fabulous necklace 🙂

so for the pinstripes, my best guess is that you sew the pinstripes on the fabric before you even cut the pattern?
    did you do the cross stitch by hand on the pocket (I have no idea if embroidery machines can do cross stitch)?

keep up the good work !

• February 18, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Thanks! I am going to try to do some tutorials, but I am not sure how soon it will be done since I am about to get very busy at school, (the necklace is for sure on that list.)

The pinstripes were actually sewn on after I cut out the pieces and serged around the edges, because I’m lazy and didn’t want to stitch anything that was going to get cut off! I didn’t mark any lined for the stripes, I just eyeballed the grain of the fabric, and managed to stay pretty straight that way. I used my coverstitch machine to sew the stripes which had some challenges because it has a shallow throat for putting the width of fabric through, but it has 3 needles that I was able to thread with 3 different colors at a time. (You could use a regular sewing machine and a twin needle to do the same thing.)

The cross stitch was done by machine, I have a brother embroidery machine that I got from Sam’s Club for $350, so it is by no means a fancy one, but it will embroider anything smaller then 4″x4″ and one of the preset designs (You can upload PES files from the computer so it is not limited to preset designs) is a cross stitch rose, which is the one I used. I think one of the reasons it looks like real cross stitch is because instead of using embroidery thread, I used cotton thread which looks more like DMC floss. I honestly wouldn’t make a lot right now for kids with hand embroidery, since they will outgrow it and I don’t have the time.

I hope that answers some of your questions!

February 19, 2012 at 8:11 am

OM Gosh–amazing!!!—-love your designs, fabrics, creativity!!! Did you make your own patterns or did you remix??? Would love to see tuts on patterns!!!—Good Luck!!!

10. February 20, 2012 at 1:50 am

Love what you amke, and this whole look is just wonderful. Your attention to detail is amazing. Did you adapt the shirt from a pattern or draft your own? I would love to make one like that for my daughter

11. February 20, 2012 at 8:45 am

That coat and umbrella are super fabulous! Loving the mix of fabrics and the colors are spot on for a rainy day. Just lovely!

12. February 21, 2012 at 12:28 am

The whole outfit is adorable!! Love the bow with the top:D

13. February 21, 2012 at 1:27 am

What a FANTASTIC outfit! Your little girl looks so happy, knowing it was made just for her! I love the toggle dry-brush detail and the ruffles on the back of the shirt. Your material is so modern and beautiful. It’s so hard finding trendy outfits for pre-teens/teens that aren’t too mature. You did a great job making something fabulous!
    Jenny
    Seamingly Smitten

February 26, 2012 at 2:20 am

WOW!!!! I didn’t find you until a few days ago (and didn’t know there was another PRAP going on) or I would have voted for you. What you did is so far above what any of the actual contestants did (and I loved a couple of them!) I left a comment (or two) on a couple of your earlier blog posts, but gosh . . . . you are just one of those “can do ANYTHING kind of moms”
    First (and foremost) thank you to your husband for his service!
    Second – You. are. amazing!!!! Your design skills, your color sense, YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL!! And (the area where I personally have the most difficulty) your ability to make your garments fit, oh and then there’s your construction skills – top notch!!!! And although, I’ve been sewing longer than I care to admit, you’ve posted some ideas that are new to me!!!
    Your kids are adorable as well. I DEFINITELY think you should audition for the next round of PRAP, and I’m pretty sure I’ll be there voting for you!
    Oh, one more thing! I’m enjoying your decorating posts as well, can’t wait to see your dd’s room, and how you transform your son’s dresser (I love before and afters!)
    Designdreamer

February 26, 2012 at 4:36 am

Just had to add that I can’t BELIEVE you stitched those pinstripes on the jeans, and that top is too cute. I’m pretty sure all three of my girls (ages 15-24) would love that top as well – heck I love it for myself, but . . . . well it’s probably a little young for me . . . .
    And I can’t believe you took an umbrella apart to make remake one to match you dd’s outfit – genius!!!
    Also am I remembering right that you make all this in a couple days!?!

Yeah, give yourself a break, and enjoy (?!) your last semester in school, and do the next round of PR&P.
    And Good Luck for when you DO give it a go!!
    Designdreamer

16. August 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Wow wow wow!!! I just saw this from you posting in the PR&P auditions. AMAZING!!! Love love love the whole look!

17. August 2, 2012 at 1:26 am

holy moly!!! jumped over from the PR&P auditions and this is IN.SANE.
    that is some seriously beautiful work–gorgeous, gorgeous stitching!!!
    well done, girlfriend.

18. August 2, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Came over from the PR&P auditions! Fantastic work! Hope you get through!

19. August 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Amazing! Love the outfit, the details and the fact that you are sewing for a pre-teen as well. While I love PR&P, I get tired of the outfits mostly sewn for the younger than 5 crowd. I’m kind of past that now and sewing for a 10 year old girl is so different than for a 3 year old. You pulled it off amazingly!

20. August 7, 2012 at 12:10 pm

This is incredible– you are so amazingly talented!

August 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Extremely talented!! You have my vote!! Mayra

22. August 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Wow you have made EVERYTHING! I bet you would make the boots too if you wanted… You are truly talented! Voting for you, love to see more of your creations!

23. August 11, 2012 at 12:05 am

You got my vote! Love the details on everything and I’m so excited to see someone sewing for an older girl–I have little ones yet and have feared that as they got older and I’d actually have time to sew detailed things for them, then there’d be nothing to sew. Can’t wait to see what you come up with this season.

24. August 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

Just coming over from PR&P. I have been absent from the blogging world due to Morning Sickness but thankfully I am over that and able to do some catching up. It never ceases to amaze me at all the talent that is out there and I am sure this Season will be Tremendous!!! Needless to say I was thrilled to see you entered and look forward to seeing you as one of the designers. So I guess you know where my vote went ; )
    Have a great weekend!!
    Angelina

25. August 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Congrats to making it to the final 5! I wish you would have made it through to the final! Your outfit is just amazing and I’ve loved all of your styles! Can’t wait to see what you come up with though, if you ‘play’ along!

26. August 14, 2012 at 4:16 am

I don’t know how to vote for you, but I vote for your outfit! It’s amazing! I love all the details.

27. August 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I am in complete amazement of your skill; the details of each piece are to die for! I believe if people had actually clicked on the link to see all the different pieces of your outfit you would have made it to the final. I will be coming back to your blog to see more of your amazing work.

November 19, 2012 at 3:59 am

I looked for a place to PIN your creation.
    Am I missing something? If I can PIN this please tell me how.

• November 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

I don’t have a Pin widget on here, but if you have a “Pin It” button on your bookmarks bar (pinterest has them) you should be able to hit that and pin whichever picture you would like! I will try to see if I can figure out how to add the “Pin It” widget to the blog, but I am terrible at coding!

29. December 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Wow. I am so impressed by your to detail and the amazing fit of the clothes! (Especially the jacket that looks fanboys in these pictures even though it is technically too big.). I just found your blog today from No Big Dill, and I can see I’ll have fun reading old posts!

30. Doc
    March 9, 2017 at 6:33 pm

I am afraid I don't agree with you.In my opinion, this is not so much a question of whether, in the abstract, crucifixes should be removed from schools. The true question here – and one that, I fear, leaves room for serious doubt – is whether the ECHR has not ovretsepped its powers…

31. March 9, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Toller Spruch vom seligen Vater. Kannte ich noch gar nicht. Honifftlech merke ich mir den. Denn ein Merksatz ist das allemal.

32. March 9, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Thanks for writing such an earnato-uydesst-nd article on this topic.

33. March 9, 2017 at 9:13 pm

IMHO you’ve got the right anserw!

34. April 21, 2017 at 3:39 am

I really want to make some extra money working from home and am interested in learning Internet marketing. I currently stay at home with my two little kids but would be able to devote about 25 hours a week to Internet marketing. It’s just that I don’t know where to start. Where do I find some great resources that help me with the Internet marketing basics as all the websites I have come across are not for absolute beginners like me?

35. April 24, 2017 at 3:19 am

I like the useful information you present inside of your content.I’ll bookmark your blog website and take a look at once more the following often.I am particularly guaranteed I will find out quite a bit of recent stuff suitable below! Great luck for the future!

36. May 21, 2017 at 1:57 am

Jag har alltid undrat vem det är som klistrar på alla Chiquita-klistermärken på bananerna. Att döma av bilden så växer alltså dessa rotfrukter och producerar sina egna etiketter. Är det så?