My Sewing Room / Craft Studio

The carpet fitters are coming tomorrow morning to turn my sewing/craft studio into a family room for selling the house, and I realized that I never shared pictures of it here, so as a last hurrah and sad farewell to my sewing studio, I thought I would do a post about it!

My studio really isn’t about looking pretty, (I wish it was!) but it’s very much 100% about function, and I kept it as neutral as possible in order to have the best light for fabric and thread matching, so I am afraid that it isn’t going to look like a designer room, but I love it anyway. (Pardon me while I shed a tear here……. I’m feeling a big loss with this room! 😉

we ripped the carpet out of this room and epoxied the floor, it is great for sweeping and doing all sorts of crafts that would mess a carpet. I believe the room is about 12 x 21 feet in case anyone is wondering.
Here is the view back the other direction, the door on the far right leads to the garage, and the other door is to the laundry room and then the kitchen. The center table is 3’x4′ and has a yardstick screwed to one side, we got this table for free from a neighbor in DC and recovered the top with white laminate.
My loom lives at one end of the room, all folded up when not in use. All the mess behind it is actually not mess, it is very controlled chaos of loom related stuff like boards for when I do painted warps etc.
Between the loom and the sewing table I keep a folding table as an extra work surface, it’s covered in new towels right now because I am supposed to embroider them……. at this stage I should probably just take them back since they go with the kids bathroom and were supposed to be spare towels, and we will probably do a different theme in the next place.
These pictures are all taken from the garage door to help give perspective.
this is what is inside of the cabinet to the left of the stairs, it houses fabric dye stuff on the bottom, and weaving yarns on the top. (there are embroidery flosses in the purple candy tins)
above the serger desk there are all the cone threads (there are staple guns, hot glue guns, heat guns, etc. in the black boxes.)
above the futon there is storage for bolts, Paul put these up for me with broom handles as the dowels, and closet cup hooks for the brackets, I love this storage, I love looking at all my treasures!
mostly Emmie pins things to my bulletin board, she always puts her designs there!
here is the serger station, it has my serger and my coverstitch machine. I keep bolts of fabric larger then 3 yards in these shelves (joanns will give you empty bolts for free, and they fit in IKEA billy bookshelves perfectly) behind the doors I have other folded fabric, and boxes of elastic, velcro, buttons, etc. above the shelves I keep boxes of more fabric. (on the  left you can see the stool I use to get to all the tall stuff!)
next to the sewing desk I have my Guttermann box of thread (that I just filled up with 3 spools per color when they were on sale!) and my rack of machine embroidery thread, I got super lucky and stocked up for 90% off when our Joann’s was going out of business to move to a new building!
My sewing station, I have a magnetic knife strip with all my scissors on it, my sewing machine, and my embroidery machine. I love my little TV/DVD player, I have it on a pivot point so I can see it from anywhere in the room, and I am always listening to movies while I do stuff in there (Coraline is my favorite to listen to.)
I have the glass from my stained glass projects in this storage area, with screens from screen printing above. In the closed cupboard I have paints, brushes, and misc. craft items.

If you have any questions about what something is, let me know, I haven’t covered anything to the depth I would have liked to, as I am actually putting the laptop down right now to go start packing up the room, and I just don’t have the time to open every door and take pictures! (besides, like I said everything is for organization and not necessarily for pretty!) But I would totally love to talk about anything that didn’t seem clear.
*You get bonus points if you noticed that my dress form wears a bra, I can’t find one that fits me properly, so I make the ribs the right size, and then put a bra and stuffing on the dress form to make it closer to my shape!

linked up at,
  Sew Woodsy

17 comments for “My Sewing Room / Craft Studio

1. June 1, 2012 at 7:14 am

I just drooled on myself!! With this last move I had to give up my craft room. Yours is amazing!!

2. June 1, 2012 at 7:17 am

OH My goodness! this is like a dream room for me and you have to pack it up! Sooo envious of the room right now and sad that you are leaving it!

3. June 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm

and next time your in Tucson want to help me with my room? please and thank you !

June 2, 2012 at 5:10 am

If I was moving to Richmond, I would have loved your house especially with this room just the way it is!

5. June 2, 2012 at 8:38 am

first of all ~ wow !!!
    it’s super huge, I’m really impressed with all the stored items you have especially all the colorful threads ! so many & in several sizes.
    you should open a shop ! you could have a little factory sewing, sewing, sewing then selling, selling, selling…
    I was wondering where you kept your iron & ironing board, but I found it in a photot
    & lastly, what are you going to do with everything? are you going to sell most of it before you move or plan to ship everything to Korea?

6. Becca
    June 3, 2012 at 1:46 am

Beautiful space, Cat! One of these days, when I’m ready to set up a full craft room (right now I’ve taken over our walk-in wardrobe), I’ll commission you to come out and spend a week or so with me to outfit mine beautifully. I envision green, pink and white shabby chic 😀

Good luck with all of your packing, you seem totally organized, which always makes it easier. Love you!

7. June 3, 2012 at 9:36 am

What a wonderful room, I’m sure it pains you to leave it – but I’m sure your next one will be just as awesome!

8. June 9, 2012 at 12:15 am

gosh, i love all your threads! thanks for linking, i’m featuring you tonight!

9. June 9, 2012 at 12:15 am

gosh, i love all your threads! thanks for linking, i’m featuring you tonight!

10. June 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

What a nice place! Good for you:)

11. June 12, 2012 at 3:08 am

Thanks for sharing your room with the world! Your sewing room was the reader’s choice on Sew Woodsy last week! I featured it today!

12. July 20, 2012 at 4:15 am

I live in Richmond also. What did you use to store your glass? Is it something built or did you find something to re-purpose for glass storage?

• July 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm

It’s actually a 12″ scrapbook paper cube turned on its side, with felt glued to the inside, I think I got it at Joann’s fabrics.

September 20, 2012 at 12:12 am

WOW! Very, very nice! Looks like you have a top-of-the-line Bernina. I’m envious! What kind of embroidery machine do you have? And what looks to be a magazine/pattern/card??? rack, where did you get that? Oh and the Gutterman thread rack. Where did you get it? I’m guessing the Joanns closeout? How did/do the IKEA billy bookcases hold up. I’ve been considering using them in my sewing room as well.
    Designdreamer

14. September 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

Designdreamer,

Thanks! I don’t know that I would say I have a top of the line Bernina anymore! I have had it for 13 years (a gift from my boyfriend now hubby when we were dating!) I love it and will probably have to have it pried from my cold dead hands! It’s a bernina inspiration plus 1650, and it stitches beautifully! (I just had to get a new bobbin case because I wore the last one out!)

I have a cheapo brother embroidery machine that only does 4.5″ x 4.5″, and I think it was $350 from costco, but it does embroider nicely and I haven’t had any troubles with it at all (they just came out with a new cheaper version that only embroiders, and I would recommend that one over the sewing one, since I don’t like the sewing stitches on this machine, but the embroidery is indistinguishably nice compared to other machines)

The card rack is from pottery barn, it holds pattern envelopes in the sides, and then I just put cards, or smaller envelopes holding patterns I have made into the other 2 sides that are too small to hold a commercial envelope.

The thread rack is from Joanns Christmas of 2005 I think? I got it before they were on closeout, but while on a 50% off sale, I have restocked it now so it holds 3 spools of every color.

The Ikea book cases not only held up wonderfully in the studio, they made the trip across the ocean to Korea, and some of them are in the storage room still holding my crafts, and some of them have been put in the family room holding the children’s toys. We have nothing but good things to say about them and I will use them again! I love that fabric bolts (that you can get for free at Joann’s) fit in the shelves too, it works out really nicely, and I love the doors for hiding things away for a greater sense of order. (we got the glass doors, and put mirror film on the doors so you couldn’t see through them.)

15. February 2, 2013 at 6:28 am

Eeeek!!! Talk about the sacrifices of the military spouse…you gave up a room like this one? Seriously, this is the kind of work room I want…my husband and I share the downstairs rec room for our respective hobbies: me sewing, him ammo reloading (yeah, it’s all about guns and sewing machines in our house!) And now that he is deployed, I am sooo creeping over to his side of the room. And if I had my way, I would push him out completely and have this room! But I guess, I’ll be glad to have him back and share that room with him again…;-) But one day, I will have this sewing room…thanks for the inspiration!