School Days!

First things first, I wanted to thank everyone for their votes during the open auditions for Project Run and Play! I can’t believe how many of you voted for me (I am deeply touched, and slightly embarrassed by the effort so many went to to vote for me! – I’m looking at you, everyone who went on facebook and did shout outs that traumatized me, I am terrible about ever campaigning for myself, and the fact that so many of my friends and family posted links about voting, was very touching!) I think I came in third, which was amazing considering how aggressive the voting was!!!
Anyway, here is a picture of my project from today, I am trying to make all of Emmie’s school clothes this year (except a few pairs of Jeans I got for her.) because I don’t love the clothes that are out there for children her age, and I decided that this would be a fun challenge!
This is a tunic length top, with a gathered front, a curved baseball hem, and lace capped sleeves; the pattern is my own, the blue and white knit fabric came from a discount place near my sister’s house in AZ for $1, and the lace was from Hobby Lobby, and with the 50% of sale it was on, I believe it cost me $2.
I’m thinking black capri-length leggings would look really cute with this, but I plan to play around with the styling a bit. I will take photos of her actually wearing it later, after I have had time to get a few more pieces together.

14 comments for “School Days!

1. August 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Your outfit for the auditions was great – it was a tough competition for sure. I love that you are doing your daughter’s back to school wardrobe!! I am doing my boys’ fall/winter wardrob in a series on my blog called Operation:Project $0 http://winterwonderingswanderingswhatnot.blogspot.com/2012/08/whatnot-operation-project-0.html
    Can’t wait to see all the awesome stuff you come up with for your daughter!!!!

• August 15, 2012 at 11:07 am

thanks Suzanne, I’ll be sure to drop on by and see what you are up to!

August 14, 2012 at 1:50 am

Cute, love it but pair it with red or bright yellow leggings.
    We shout it out for you because you’re so amazingly talented!

• August 15, 2012 at 11:08 am

Thanks so much! I can totally see it with the bright leggings too!

3. August 14, 2012 at 3:51 am

I voted for you! Even though I was a teensy miffed at not making the audition cut, I was always rooting for your jacket ensemble! I really like your style! Maybe I’ll see you for the sew along!

• August 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

For sure! (about the sew along) and thanks for the vote!

4. August 14, 2012 at 3:52 am

Oh, and I’m linking (giving a shout out) to your outfit on my blog later today 😉

• August 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

Thanks, I’ll be sure to stop by!

5. August 14, 2012 at 5:59 am

You got my vote easily! For whatever reason I still thought voting was open until the 14th – must have misread. Anyway, your outfit was absolutely incredible – really lovely. Functional, stylish, beautiful, impeccably crafted. The fabrics were to die for, and your little model was perfect.

This dress is really cute, but I prefer the second one with the bow. The fabric, maybe?

• August 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

I thought you would like the second one! I like how young this one is, but the colors of the other one (and the fabric, which has the nicest hand!) are really beautiful.

6. August 14, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I really like this shirt. I am also trying to sew my daughter’s school wardrobe. Would you mind if I imitated your design. I think she would like it and I have some lace that would be really pretty like that.

I am having a lot of fun but have had some challenges with the jeans. I may someday contact you asking for pointers since you have done a great job on jeans in the past.

• August 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

You are more then welcome to! I would love to see the finished product! I made a second shirt in this style, and will be putting the mini tutorial up on my blog as soon as I upload the photos if that will help at all!

7. August 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Sorry you didn’t win, but I will be following your looks for the sew along. Cograts on all the other great events going on this year for you and your family. I really appreciate your talent and eye for color. Best wishes to you all.

September 19, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m sorry you didn’t win as well. I would have voted for you had I known voting was going on! Love what you do. Love following your adventures in Korea. I’m thinking that store in AZ is SAS?
    PS: I also just posted a comment about your shower curtain. But didn’t sign my name. Don’t have a blog, nor blog account.
    Designdreamer