Shower Curtain Poll

don’t worry, I spelled the title correctly! I meant poll, not pole, 🙂 as this is all about asking for help in deciding what I want to make for my shower curtain, not how to put it up!

I just bought this fabric for my shower curtain,

And It just arrived and is beautiful! (and the colors are perfect with my master bedroom’s stuff, which is this bedding from Pottery Barn,

Vanessa Floral Duvet Cover & Sham - Blue

The feather fabric has the same colors, and I like that they have a great feel together without being matchy patchy (as my sister Sarah would say) and the feathers are very gender neutral to me.

Anyway, here is my dilemma, I originally thought I would make my shower curtain in the style of this one from Anthropologie,

But now I am not so sure. You see my bathroom is tiny, and the tub is right next to the toilet, so I am suddenly worried that the ruffles will add enough poof, that when pushed open, the shower curtain will invade the gap and touch the toilet (gross, there is a lot of condensation here in Korea with the humidity, so the toilet side is always a little damp after a shower.)

So here is my question, should I make just a plain shower curtain out of the feather fabric (I’m going to remember to do a tutorial this time too, so keep that in mind, would a plain shower curtain be to boring, or is it a good basic, and would be a more helpful tutorial?) Or should I do the Anthro version, and I don’t know, live with the toilet touching? (I really don’t actually know if this will be a genuine issue, there is about 10″ of space next to the toilet, but you can only open the curtain towards the toilet, since otherwise you would have to step out of the shower into the toilet.) I wouldn’t mind washing it more often, except the ruffles will wrinkle in the wash, and that’s a lot or ironing….. I guess the shower could steam it straight!

OR do you have a totally fantastic suggestion for me that you could either tell me about, or leave me a link for? I am open to ideas here!

7 comments for “Shower Curtain Poll

1. August 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

Ruffles are gorgeous, but they strike me as dirt catchers in a bathroom.

I’d put a grey or maroon strip detail on the bottom (like a wide bias tape strip) in colors to match the feathers. I’m really thinking that maroon could pop nicely.

2. August 31, 2012 at 11:27 am

What if you did the ruffles at the top?

3. September 1, 2012 at 12:28 am

I’m not a huge fan of the ruffles, but I think I wide colorblock at the bottom would be awesome. And maybe keep a thin line of bias tape to divide the two (like the yellow in the anthro version). LOOOVE that feather fabric. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

4. September 1, 2012 at 2:23 am

Ruffles are very pretty, but since I am a germophobe, I vote for a plain shower curtain without the ruffles. 🙂

5. September 1, 2012 at 2:49 am

In our master bedroom, I needed 4 curtains and only had 3, so I cut one in half (that window was shorter). I now had 4 not quite long enough curtains, so I added a band of solid fabric at the bottom that picked up a color in my print. It would give you the flavor of the ruffle, without potential touching. And it isn’t precisely feminine, but with the flowers and feathers, something a bit more tailored might add a touch of masculine. (not sure its needed, but I think you get what I’m saying…) I’ve been very pleased with the flowery curtain with big, bold solid band at the bottom look!

6. September 1, 2012 at 6:26 am

First of all – I love love love the fabric!! My vote would be no ruffles…for hygiene sake, but also my feeling is that the fabric lends itself to simplicity. Maybe a simple ribbed ribbon trim on either the bottom or top? Maybe even two rows? I am envisioning a medium width orangy-yellowy-mustardy ribbon, running parallel to a teal wider ribbed ribbon?

Something simple.

September 19, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hmmmmm. I like the ruffles, but understand your hygiene worries. You could leave the curtain the full length, put the ruffles on top, and then, if it DID turn out to be a problem, you could remove them . . . . . if you were willing to go through all that trouble that is. I’m not so sure about a maroon accent though, seems like it would clash with the colors of your bedding fabric which looks more orangey than maroon to me. JMHO.