Not The Post That Was Supposed To Be Here…..

I’ve been so excited all this week about the post I was going I write today, it was going to have cute pictures of my moving truck arriving, crates being opened, and my hose taking shape while Paul and I directed a symphony of movers……. Um the only trouble is, that’s not quite how things have gone.

I opened the door at 7:40 this morning, so I could send Emmie on her way to school, with the intention of cleaning up after breakfast, getting Isaac out the door, running to the store to get some drinks for the movers, and then I was going to wait for the housing movers to come and remove all of the loaner furniture we have been using, so that our household goods could be brought in at 11:00. Paul had to run into work this morning to give a briefing, but was supposed to be back by 8:30, so we had plenty of time to do everything.

Except, when I opened the door at 7:40 this morning, the household goods movers were standing on the doorstep waiting to move 16 giant shipping crates worth of stuff into my house. They immediately started moving the government furniture into the hallway, and then moving our household goods inside. I hadn’t even vacuumed yet. I then spent the next almost 2 house with people shouting box numbers at me so that I could mark down on the inventory sheet what was here.

Paul was frantically called at 8:30, he didn’t answer. He was @&*#! Texted at 9:00 when he hadn’t come home yet, and then I almost cried when he called at 9:30 saying he was on his way home. Stuff was going crazy in the house as all of my walls were getting banged, about 50% of the furniture is visibly damaged, and I have anxiety about stuff getting ruined as it is, let alone watching people lean antique pieces this way and that……

Paul ran in and managed to let me escape to go buy those drinks so I didn’t have to watch the chaos, and when I got back he handed me money to go get a pedicure and he sent me off again, which was so amazing of him because I really was on the verge of tears after hearing something drop, what sounds like cursing in Korean, and then “it was already broken” in English, for the 5th or 6th time of the morning. I’m not to return home until after the movers leave, so that I can then survey the damages, and take pictures in order to document everything for insurance, since I notice everything.

As a side note, most harassing pedicure ever too, I keep turning the massage chair off because I don’t like them, and the lady (who only speaks Korean) keeps Turing it back on, so now I am shaking and being poked in the back and bottom while trying to type, and she’s really being rough! I came to the place on base because I wasn’t feeling like I should wander too far afield, but now I wish I had been more adventurous, as I have heard wonderful things about those salons…… I’m not sure if I’m just being an Eeyore or not, but it’s not quite as successful as hoped for.

Anyway, stuff’s here, it just remains to be seen if my sanity remains intact! Sorry about any typos, I’m shaking and typing from my phone, and doubt I’ll fix any mistakes later on, they can stand as a record of my unexpected morning.

  4 comments for “Not The Post That Was Supposed To Be Here…..

  1. mjb
    September 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

    Oh, I feel so bad for you, thoughts and prayers coming your way! Our daughter and son-in-law are also a military family. They have been living in a hotel room with two little ones for two months, awaiting their belongings . Their movers were not the best, and she is positive they will have a lot of damaged goods. I just want you to know I love seeing all your sewing projects, and I was so hoping you would get in project run&play:) I also appreciate the service you and your family do for our country! Our son in law is a Captain in the Army with a lot of deployments behind him and a lot to go, I totally understand all the sacrifices military families endure:) I hope tomorrow is a sun shine, happy day for you:)

    • September 6, 2012 at 7:44 am

      Thank you so much for your sweet comment! (and thanks to your daughter and her husband for their service!) moving every 3 years is hard, but I feel a little guilty complaining, because being able to come with my husband (he’s an Air Force captain) is a privilege!

  2. Joy
    September 6, 2012 at 12:20 am

    So, so sorry the movers have not been careful with your things. I hope there’s less damage than you’re imagining. Paul sounds like one smart husband. You’ll have to keep us updated on what “really” happened while you were away.

    • September 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

      Thanks! I like to think he’s pretty smart too! Unfortunately the damage is closer to about 80% of the furniture, including box cutter slashes in my brand new custom leather recliners, gouges out of literally everything wood, and a canvas picture that was somehow packed into a box of wood hangers so the metal hooks jammed through the front. Every box is randomly packed, including dead pot plants that have rotted the book they packed it right next to….. I’m trying to be positive, and let go, but when so much time has been spent only collecting or making things you love, that means you love everything they broke. (I’m allowing myself a few mopy days before I have to perk back up.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge