Marie Antoinette {Halloween 2012}

I promised Emmie a Marie Antoinette costume last Fall, but got too busy with school to actually make it, so this year she had me fulfill my promise,
(this is her snooty queen face)
Apparently Emmie was destined to be a snooty queen!
 I made the back a sack back gown, no one who knows a ton about this period judge me, I am pretty sure I am stealing from various decades, since I didn’t do any research for this so much as winging it!
 The fabric is a poly-taffeta in pink and blue that I got for $4 a yard on clearance last summer, and the pink has an overlay of a fancy beaded and embroidered bridal tulle, that I got on sale at the same time as the taffeta (I want to say is was 40% off $25 a yard?)
 The jewelry piece sewn to the front is the entire inspiration for the color palette, we found it in Alabama on the Endless Yardsale, and I immediately thought of a Marie Antoinette gown to go with it!
 Why not eat the cake myself says my Marie Antoinette!
 The cake is a felt one that I have had for several years as my Valentine’s table centerpiece, I got it at TJ Maxx. I just hot glued a strip of elastic to the bottom to make it easier to hold onto.
 I used pinking sheers, leftover embroidered tulle, and ombre wired ribbon that I got on clearance for $1.00 a spool (at the same time as everything else last year.) on the sleeves and down the front of the dress. I sent the ribbon through my pleater foot, (which was a nightmare) to get the ruffle.
 Emmie’s hips are padded out with shaped little pillows I made from cotton canvas, stuffed with batting, and then I sewed them under all the layers in order to give her the correct silhouette, but also the ability to sit!
 I drew a heart beauty-mark on her cheek in eyeliner; she thinks she may want to be dead Marie Antoinette for actual Halloween, so she might get a whited out face with black rings under the eyes, and a line of blood at the neck…… I keep hoping she will stay with pretty Marie!
 We got A LOT of looks from passersby while I photographed her, she was loving all the attention!
 The lining of the bodice is actually fully boned like a corset, so she has the right shape (she isn’t being squeezed, the back laces up as loosely as she needs it too)
The pink cameo is one I have for my everyday wear, and I think it came from Target at some point.
 Her hair is my favorite part! (and was blogged about in my last post
They want to chop off my what?
Well I’ll give you your stink’n cake then….
I hope you liked this dress, it was super fun to make, and I love how Emmie looks in it! (blue and pink are totally her colors!) I was briefly worried while making this that I wouldn’t have enough fabric since I had bought everything for it last year, and she had a major growth spurt this summer, (and I don’t have access to ANY American fabrics) but happily it worked out, and I was able to fulfill my promise of a pretty, pretty princess dress (although she corrects me and says its a “queen’s” dress) even if it is a year late!

making monday marvelous linky party

17 comments for “Marie Antoinette {Halloween 2012}

1. October 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm

The dress/wig/costume is BEYOND amazing!!!!!!!!! So cute. My favorite part is the beaded tulle on the front and the saddle bag looking hips. PERFECT for Marie Antoinette!!!! I can’t imagine how much work/time went into that, but seeing these pictures I’m sure it made it worth it. There are some of those pictures I think she looks 100% like you and how I remember you growing up!

• October 29, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Melissa! I am pretty excited about it now it is DONE! It’s funny because she looks like me, but when you see my husband, she’s all him too!

2. October 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm

WOW. I don’t know what else to say besides, WOW. This is absolutely incredible. You’ve done it again!!

• October 29, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Cherie! I had a lot of fun with this one!

3. October 29, 2012 at 12:26 am

first of all let me pick my jaw up from off of the floor…
    where do I begin??? I’m so in love with this dress, all of the details… everything, it’s so perfect, the thought put into it and it’s so fun and over-the-top… the jewelry piece sewn on the front is soooo pretty.
    blue and pink are totally my colors, too 🙂
    the blue matches her pretty blue eyes 🙂
    how much blue fabric do you think that you used to sew this?
    you really need to enter this in a costume contest ~ you would win !!!
    bravo! bravo! bravo! you’ve outdone yourself this time!

• October 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Thanks so much Rachel, you are so sweet and enthusiastic!

I used a yard of the pink and tulle for this dress (each of which were 60″ wide) and I think had 3 yards of the blue fabric (also 60″ wide) I had about 3/4 of a yard of white twill canvas that made up her hip panniers (the pillows) and 2 layers of canvas in the bodice lining/corset.

4. October 29, 2012 at 3:18 am

great job! looks like she loves it and that is the most important thing. Bribe her to stay a pretty Marie this year, she can then be zombie Marie next year ;o)

• October 29, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Thanks Suzanne! I’m hoping I can convince her, I feel a little guilty though since this is her first year wanting to be something scary, I have had my way up until now!

5. October 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Gorgeous!!!

6. October 30, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Fabulous Costume!

7. October 31, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Wow! This whole look is amazing! The dress, the wig, just everything so well thought out and executed (no pun intended:) Happy Halloween!

November 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm

absolutely lovely!

9. November 2, 2012 at 3:02 am

Wow! What a fabulous costume! Your daughter is so cute and perfect for the role.

10. March 9, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Hey I am so glad I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theeg/dmsien), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

11. Ice
    March 9, 2017 at 7:01 pm

I wanted to see if you could die from lack of sleep, But their is still nothing proving that lack of sleep does kill it seems danourges but not dealdy. Ps. Please submit more facts

12. March 9, 2017 at 9:12 pm

If your arietlcs are always this helpful, “I’ll be back.”