Project Run and Play, Week 1 {The Beaded Owl Dress}

It’s here everyone!
 Project Run and Play is up and running, and week 1 voting is in full swing! You are going to love ALL the entries, but we’re here to talk about my offering, The Beaded Owl Dress!
For this first week’s challenge I began by finding the most amazing owl print, rayon fabric; it has the most silky soft texture, and a beautiful drape! (Little did I know at the time the fabric is IMPOSSIBLE to photograph well.)
In making my own version of Lindsay’s Party Dress, I knew that there were several elements that I definitely wanted to keep, (such as the shape of the bodice, the band at the hem, and the button loops used to close the dress.) Because it’s winter and has been below -4F where we live, I decided to add sleeves, (my daughter has been begging me for a yellow dress with puffed sleeves ever since she read Anne of Green Gables) and because it’s for a bigger girl to wear casually, I decided against the sash. (Well, admittedly I decided against the sash when she wrinkled her nose at me when I held a piece of fabric up to her waist to see how it looked!)
I love to make things that look deceptively simple, but are in reality full of challenging details! The neck facing, wrist cuffs, and skirt band, are all held in place only with the decorative pewter beading, that was all hand done in seed beads (fitting the inner curve of the neck facing, while including seam allowances and a perfectly spaced gap took some head scratching and smoke coming out of my ears!)
(It’s easier to see the print here, and the detail of the beading around the neck.)
(Beading around the cuff, and bonus welted pocket!)
(And then here is the hem beading, Emmie’s reading the Harry Potter series for the 6th time, she’s a SUPER fan. )
There are 31 charcoal pearl buttons and small button loops between the back and sleeves of this dress, all done in the opposite colored fabric to the section they are on, (blue on yellow, and yellow on blue.)
(Here’s a pretty decent view of the buttons, and a bonus shot of the zip that closes the skirt!)
(The button loops are pretty obvious in this shot!)
The skirt has single welted side pockets, and the bodice and sleeves are fully lined too. I am so pleased with how this dress turned out, Miss Emmie calls it her Anne of Green Gables/Harry Potter dress (I guess it’s the white owls?) and excitedly wore it to the first day of school after winter break along with her own handmade Harry Potter beaded necklace! (a gift from her best school friend from the US)
Sorry, now I shall spam you with some different views of the dress (by the way, the hipster glasses have no glass in them, they came from a Clark Kent costume, and she loves them and wears them around all the time (even to school,) she says she feels “intellectual” in them!

And this last one is from the first of two photo shoots, I was trying to go for something cool out in Korea, but it really has been FREEZING here, so we went to a fantastic furniture store to take pictures, but there was really just too much going on in the background, and NOT enough light, so no cool Korean background for me with this dress, but I thought I would throw this one in for luck!!

AND the results from So You Think You’re Crafty week 1 “On The Wall” are in! Did you guess that I was the French Country Fireplace? I am super excited for my week 2 project on SYTYC, I don’t think many will guess which one is mine it’s a little out of the box for me! (I’ll post here when the polls open next week)

70 comments for “Project Run and Play, Week 1 {The Beaded Owl Dress}

1. January 12, 2013 at 12:21 am

wow!
    love how you made this look so ‘grown up’ for Emmie.
    impressive details!

2. January 12, 2013 at 12:38 am

I love the look for an older girl! All the looks on PRP are beautiful, but it’s great to see some for the non-toddler set. And this one is absolutely AMAZING.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thank you! I find the balance between a big girl that’s still for a child quite a challenge, but enjoy doing it.

3. January 12, 2013 at 12:54 am

I love the beaded detailing and the fabric! This dress just turned out amazing!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Thank you so much! You’re too kind.

4. January 12, 2013 at 1:41 am

Really love how it turned out. The beading, the fabric, the buttons look absolutely stunning. I would like one for myself. 🙂

• January 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for visiting me. I really enjoy putting those extra details in my projects.

5. January 12, 2013 at 2:17 am

Is dresses breathtaking! The details are phenomenal. I, too, would like one for myself! Good luck!

6. January 12, 2013 at 3:03 am

Ooh, Cath. I can really see the details in your blog pics. So well made. Beautiful, beautiful job!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Shannon! I love the work you put into your’s as well!

7. January 12, 2013 at 3:05 am

I love that dress so much (the style, print- everything!) that I would wear it myself. Very nice!

8. January 12, 2013 at 3:29 am

What cool fabric, you can totally send me your scraps ;op And I am floored at the bead work – whoa the attention to detail there is inspiring.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Ha, ha. 🙂 I honestly would, but Emmie’s already claimed the scraps. Your’s was awesome too!

9. January 12, 2013 at 3:32 am

I have just found your blog through PR&P , i love your look and it is great to see someone sewing clothes for an older child and not a baby/toddler. My own girly is almost 7 and is starting to have a more grown up taste, so I am looking forward to checking out your posts 🙂 xx

• January 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Yeah, I’m so glad you came to visit! I hope I don’t disappoint.

10. January 12, 2013 at 4:20 am

Very impressive! I love this look and my daughter wants one now too. She’s a big fan of Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter too.

11. January 12, 2013 at 4:48 am

You totally got me with your impecable attention to detail. Absolutely stunning. Great job with making this pattern your own! Congratulations!!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Thanks so much for generously providing the pattern for everyone…”it gave such scope for the imagination” –Anne Shirley 🙂

12. January 12, 2013 at 5:29 am

wow wow wow!!! I’ve seen your posts here and there in the blog world but I am definitely going to be a new follower!! I can’t wait to see what else you create! This dress is impeccable!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Thank you so much for following! I’m excited to have you here!

13. January 12, 2013 at 8:38 am

WOW! Your detail work is truly phenomenal! All those tiny beads attaching the facings and hem band! And all those buttons! Goodness! I am so impressed!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thank you so much Karen!

14. January 12, 2013 at 9:10 am

This dress is really cool! I can definitely see it being on a Harry potter character. The vintage feel of it is really cute on an older girl, and I love that she owns it. It’s fun seeing bookworms get inspiration for dress from their reading.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Thanks Tara! I have to say I love my little bookworm; and trying to accommodate her interests has been fun.

January 12, 2013 at 10:13 am

Love this!!! Love the details. Only YOU would up the ante on a strapped seam and add beads to the mix!!! WOW!
    My dd has also read the Harry Potter series multiple times. Her book jacket is much more ragged than your dd’s. (She’s 16, and has had more times to read them lol)
    Good Luck! (I voted for you)
    designdreamer

• January 13, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Thanks :-), we usually make her take the book jacket off so she doesn’t tear it.

January 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

OMG!! Just checked out your SYTYC entry.
    You never cease to amaze me!!!
    WOW, just WOW!
    designdreamer

• January 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

You’re going to make me blush…you’re too kind!

17. January 12, 2013 at 10:53 am

Such a beautiful dress! The beaded details are AMAZING.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Thanks! I miss having easy access to beads by going to a Michaels or something, but I was lucky to find what I needed in Seoul.

18. January 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

This dress is incredible! I’m loving everything about it. It was my favorite entry in the contest even before I came over to the blog and saw all the awesome details. I can’t wait to see your further entries! You have a beautiful model as well. 🙂

• January 13, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Thanks Jessica! I just finished the photo shoot for next week’s entry, and I hope you like it just as much. 🙂

19. January 12, 2013 at 11:41 am

Ooooooh, the beadwork…………. Oooooooh, the button detail………. Oooooooh, Anne of Green Gables AND Harry Potter in one post is too much to take! We would LOVE to see a tutorial on attaching a yoke using beadwork (we have a vintage dress that has a yoke/collar/several pieces of bias tape that is attached with stitching, and want to knock it off eventually). HELP?!?!? When things calm down for you….

• January 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Thank you Frances! I actually have a tutorial for the beadwork that would have gone up on PR&P if I were to win this week (ha, ha, not happening), but I will make sure to get it up over here on my blog after the craziness dies down.

• February 11, 2013 at 9:53 am

YES, YES, YES!!! This makes us extremely happy :)!!! No rush….just when you get to it, know that it will be utilized!

20. January 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

This is a beautiful and amazing dress. At first I wasn’t sure about the fabric but the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I love that you also teamed it with cons. The cut of the sleeve is gorgeous and the beading divine. I would never take the time to do it so I take my hat of to you.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Thanks, the fabric is REALLY hard to photograph, but is DIVINE in real life!

21. January 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Wow! Love the details! I want a dress just like this!

22. January 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm

very cool dress! love the print- such a cute but hip look and the beadword is amazing! looking forward to all your designs for pr+p!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Thanks so much! We’ll see how long I last! 🙂

23. January 13, 2013 at 12:45 am

I voted for your dress. It’s by far the best. I hope you win!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thank you so much for the vote!

24. January 13, 2013 at 1:10 am

This is AMAZING. Your details are perfect and tricky. The dress fits PERFECTLY. Fabric is delightful. Bands and buttons attached with all that hand beadwork really sealed this for me. LOVE. I want this dress and I want to try out some beadwork in the construction. Gorgeous.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Thanks for visiting! Please come visit again since I’ll be putting up a tutorial on how I did the beadwork for this dress once things quiet down a bit.

January 13, 2013 at 2:42 am

This is AMAZING!! I put in my vote 😉

26. January 13, 2013 at 9:46 am

love the vibe and details! you got my vote!

• January 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Jessica! I really appreciate your vote!

27. January 13, 2013 at 11:41 am

This dress is fabulous and I would give my left arm for that owl fabric! Where’d you find it?

• January 13, 2013 at 1:01 pm

The fabric is from the large industry fabric market (called Dongdaemun) here in Seoul, South Korea. I feel very lucky to have access to such wonderful suppliers!

28. Jo
    January 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I love your bridging technique with the beads! LOVE it! Voted for you! (I also agree with the previous commenter about fit. I make it a point to never vote for an ill-fitting design.)

• January 13, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thank you so much for the vote, Jo! I try very hard to make sure everything is of a quality I am happy with.

29. January 13, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I live your dress!! It’s immaculate. I love the subtlety and the way every little detail is just right and the fit is perfect. I just hope that people take the time to look closely and that people who don’t sew will appreciate how great this is. So good.

• January 13, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Wow, that’s really nice of you to say. Thank you, Danielle!

30. January 14, 2013 at 2:40 am

I did guess you were the fireplace – wohooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. January 14, 2013 at 7:09 am

The more I look at it the more impressed I am. It´s truly AMAZING. I agree with the comment made by Danielle above, I do hope people realise this is not just another dress, it´s a lot more than that. You have me as your biggest fan. Congratulations!!!
    María

32. January 14, 2013 at 9:44 am

I just wanted to stop by the Project Run Play website to that I love this dress! All the details are amazing and the colors are fantastic! I also loved the Anne of Green Gables reference, I grew up on that movie!

33. January 14, 2013 at 10:34 am

your daughter is beautiful!!!!
    (and so is the dress, but I just had to comment about your daughter!)

34. January 15, 2013 at 7:42 am

Holy moly this dress is amazing. I cannot believe all the details and how beautifully you have sewed it! Very very well done. And the fabric is stunning. And I love how the styling with the blue socks/ tights and sneakers makes the whole outfit look modern and stylish. And your daughter had such lovely charisma. I know I am too late to vote and is very glad you made it through – I would have voted for you! 🙂

35. January 20, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Catherine- Hi! I’m your sister’s sister-in-law and I’ve been following your blog for a while now at her suggestion. I just had to comment and tell you how much I love this dress! My absolute favorite garment you have shared to date. You are so talented and this dress is perfect. I’ve been voting for you every week so far, I can’t believe you’re participating in two competitions at once!

• January 26, 2013 at 12:01 am

Hey Tina! Thank You SOOOOOOOO MUCH! You are too sweet, and I love that Sarah helped connect us (she’s one of my most favorite people!)

36. Carla
    March 14, 2015 at 8:54 pm

The detailing is perfect. Interestingly, I made myself a somewhat similar dress several years back with short sleeves for summer. It was a lot of fun to wear.

37. Martha Smith
    April 2, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Wow, this dress is so gorgeous and finished so beautifully, its obvious you are a perfectionist with your sewing, particularly love the bead and button details, what a lucky girl your daughter is to have such a clever Mum. I’m wondering where the fabric can be bought from and what other colours it may come in. Thanks for giving us a look at your fantastic creation.