Week 2 of So You Think You’re Crafty!

Whew! I made it through week one of both So You Think You’re Crafty, and Project Run and Play! (yay!)

I’m ready for round 2 now, so here’s the link to run on over to So You Think You’re Crafty, so you can go vote for your favorite project!!!! (I’m pretty excited with my project this week!)

On Friday I’ll link up to/post about my Project Run and Play look, but until then, please go vote over at SYTYC!

And because I am loathe to leave yet another post without any pictures, I’ll leave you with one from last year, Emmie LOVES costumes, so here is one I made her last year as a play dress (made from silk drapes I got on clearance at Lowe’s.

Here she is wearing her dress and tiara for hot chocolate at Starbucks,

And then a proper view of the costume in it’s full glory for “dress like a book character” day at school.

It’s a 16th century Italian style gown, with a loose gown over the top, and long fake Rapunzel braid that is braided into her hair. I cannot even begin to tell you how much time she spent dangling that braid over our balcony!

9 comments for “Week 2 of So You Think You’re Crafty!

1. January 15, 2013 at 2:40 am

gorgeous gown!!
    you can tell that you are a true fabric lover (finding the fabric as silk drapes on clearance)
    I wish they had dress like a book character at my kids school
    can’t wait to see what you make for the stripes and polka dots challenge 🙂

• January 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Thanks Rachel! I am so nervous about all these challenges, I am almost always positive I am going home because my taste is not quite mainstream, or my kids are too big, but I figure if I just keep making things I like, then even if I go home it will be okay!

2. January 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I CAN NOT believe your awesome fireplace did not win at SYTYC!!! And you didn’t even mention that “Oh by the way” I had to make this craft in OSAN, SOUTH KOREA….where and HOW do you find craft supplies there??? We lived in Germany for three years and I had a hard time finding craft supplies for a simple science sculpture my kids had to make! And I’m guessing Germany is just a little more commercial than Korea. (But I’m just guessing) I can’t imagine trying to find “stuff” on the Korean economy. LOVED your fireplace. Did you really cart it around for 10 years? How many moves was that? 4?? My husband is a Naval Officer. I think we may be making our last move this summer. We’ve been at it for 25 years so far. Keep it up!

• January 16, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Terri! I’m pretty sure mentioning South Korea would have let everyone know it was me! 😉 I actually cannot find ANYTHING here, there is not so much a DIY culture in Korea (it’s actually worse than Germany if I remember correctly from being there 5 years ago!) We actually did some of the wood working in the US before we moved, and then I finished the grouting and painting here in Korea (I sent grout with our household goods, and ended up painting some of the black with left over blackboard paint from my kitchen wall, that I also sent over with my household goods!) I keep calling it combat crafting! Thank you for your and your husband’s service to our country and congrats on your 25 years! We have been in for almost 13 years now (my husband is an Air Force Officer) and I am pretty sure it was 4 moves we have had the fireplace waiting to be done!

3. January 16, 2013 at 12:29 am

I love that she still ‘loves to make believe’. Kids grow up much too fast these days, so hearing stories/seeing pictures like these gives me hope. The gown is amazing and what a clever way to find silk. Who would have thunk!

• January 16, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I agree, I love that she still dresses up too (so does her 12 year-old brother, he just tries not to be quite as public about it as she is!) I feel like children need time to feel the transformative magic of dress up, in order to grow their imaginative spirits!

January 17, 2013 at 11:52 am

Oh my, I love, love the costume – it’s so nice that she wants to be a little girl & dress-up is so much fun. What a cute mom to do all this for your children. The braid is a favorite accent!

5. January 18, 2013 at 11:44 am

Just voted!!! So much craftiness in one place. Really awesome, Catherine!
    (Your fireplace is absolutely amazing! Your fine details in your crafts are such a standout.)

6. March 9, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Good to see a tanelt at work. I can’t match that.