Hey everyone! Last week’s voting was a total nail biter, I cannot believe how close it all was! I want to thank everyone for all the votes for my laptop bag!
I began with my fabric and trim selection, I like to pile everything up together to see how everything looks together.
Then I cut the snake print velvet into the back pieces, #s 2, 3, and 9, I sewed #9 onto the ends of the zip, (with the lining on bottom, and the fabric on top, sandwiching the zip in between.)
Then I sewed the top and bottom to the zip, (#2, and #3) also making a top, zipper, lining, sandwich.
here’s what it looked like from the back… I sewed all around the edges, so that the back could all be treated as one piece now. (I also added one of the #1 lining pieces to the back and sewed around the edges, this created the whole back pocket.)
Next I sewed piece #4 to either side of the top zip, I sandwiched the lining and zip the same way as before.
Here’s the underside.
As you can see, the canvas looks super wrinkly too, which I didn’t love, so I brainstormed a bit, and then decided that I needed something stiff (preferably plastic) inside of the bag to hold it tight. I couldn’t figure out what wouldn’t get ruined with flexing, but also was strong enough. My husband hit upon using a cutting mat for the stiffener,and we pulled out a mat that I had that I hated, because it was pretty garbage, and shredded bits of plastic as I would rotary cut on it. (you can see how shredded it is) and we cut it to size using tin snips (designed to cut metal.)
In order to make sure the edges didn’t tear through the canvas and the fabric, I used a Dremel sanding drum to go around the edges, and then covered the edge with a satin self-adhesive book binder’s tape.
I slid the mat into the opening at the top between the lining and the canvas, and spread some fabric glue on the mat, and smoothed the canvas on top to stick the two layers together. As you can see on the finished bag, it’s much stiffer, and holds its shape well; it still has some movement in the canvas surface, but I think that just shows that it’s a textile. I hand sewed the opening in the lining tops shut. The canvas is also now missing the worn off bits, because I used some brown paint and scrubbed it into the cracks, and then wiped it off with a damp rag, then I used a mixture of mod podge and textile medium to seal the top so that it doesn’t crack again, and so that it is sealed against dirt.
So there you have it, I hope that this was clear enough about the process to explain the steps needed to make your own bag! here’s what the back zip looks like open,
My daughter has already asked if she can take this bag to college with her, (she’s 10) so I guess she’s trying to call dibs early so I don’t get too comfortable with it! I would love it if you would come and visit me over at cathgrace, and thanks again for all the votes!