Project Run and Play, Valentine Look!

Yay! I’m still here! (thanks everyone for your votes!) and this week’s theme is “Valentine Inspired looks” I decided to (mostly) stay away from red and hearts, and focus on a less literal Valentine’s look, so I present,

Bows, Ruffles, and Rose (ummmm, “roses”…..didn’t sound right!)
 I wanted Emmie to be able to get lots of use out of whatever I made her, (beyond Valentine’s that is,) so when I found a lovely remnant of a rose patterned corduroy in Emmie’s favorite color blue, I knew it would be the perfect inspiration! I could only get  1.5 yards of the rose corduroy, so I had to be very careful with how I eeked it out. I decided to make 3 pieces for my outfit, since a blazer, a shirt, and a pair of jeans would be the most versatile.

For the blazer I began with Burda 9498, for the collar and upper sleeve shape, but I altered the sleeves to 3/4 length, added a slit and buttons to the bottom of the sleeves, and then ruffles to the lower back.

The two tiers of ruffles drop down a little bit, giving a sort of bustled back, that I topped with a bow. (you can see the sleeve buttons here.)

I reshaped the front of the blazer to a curve, and added bows instead of pockets to the front. I hand tacked all of the edges of the collar and hem, to make them lie flat and be more couture.

The inside of the blazer is fully lined in a cotton stripe,
with a secret welted pocket that I dressed up with bright pink sequins that only Emmie will see, she loves little touches like that!

The shirt is made from a white cotton knit, with a soft dotted lace over layer, I decided to use white, as a visual resting point amongst all the pattern and color.
I used a raglan sleeve, with a fitted dropped waist for the top of the blouse, and added a gathered dotted lace skirt/peplum over the A-line knit underskirt/peplum. I finished the hem of the lace overlay, and the sleeves with dotted lace ruffles.
The neckline is the most special thing about this top, I added 16 button holes to the neckline, and then used a white knit cord to chain through the holes, creating a pleated front (I have a tutorial for this technique all ready to go, hint, hint, voters!) I personally love quiet details like this much more than trim or anything super contrasting, (fabric manipulation is my adrenaline rush…. not sure what that says about me.)
The rest of the neckline is elasticized to be comfy; I am hoping that this white top will be a good basic for spring and summer use.
For the Jeans, I used a glorious pale blue gray, stretch denim, that I found in the fashion fabric market in Seoul, it has a stunning rose print, that I immediately fell in love with, and knew it would look good with the jacket, (as the scales of the prints wouldn’t compete with each other, but would compliment each other instead.) I made them just like real jeans, with the back placket, belt loops, top stitching, pockets, and a functional fly. on the front pockets I added a line of hotfix swarovski crystals,
and on the back pockets I added my most literal Valentine’s detail, crystal hearts (this is Emmie’s FAVORITE part)
The top stitching is all done in the same pale blue gray as the background fabric color. I really love how on trend these are (since printed jeans are all the rage) but still not so trendy she will tire of them quickly.
I decided that a lot of the specifically “Valentine” look, was going to come from the styling of the photo shoot,
I thought nothing would be better than a Valentine’s picnic, with sweet treats, and Emmie’s greatest loves: her stuffed Puppies (Sugar and Toby go to bed with Emmie EVERY night, and heaven forbid one goes missing.)
I used spare blazer lining fabric, to make a basket liner for Emmie’s bike basket.
She was pretty excited to eat my props.
For her hair I did a crown braid, that I pulled to be a little looser and loopy, then I wove ribbon around it.

Poor Miss Emmie gave me a terrible time this week with the photo shoot (I only did it Thursday afternoon Korea time, which was nerve wrackingly last minute,) because last Friday the poor thing tripped on her brother’s coat (Um, exactly why is was on the floor will not be discussed) and whacked face first into the coffee table. Her cheek was so swollen, she had to push her cheek down to see out her eye properly at school on Monday. and the whole eye turned black.
The swelling finally went down, but he whole cheek was a sick yellow, and the eye still quite black, so the sweet child is madeup within an inch of her life to try to hide all the bruising, and you can still sort of see the yellow cheek, and black eye (although it sort of blends in with her asthma shiners.)
The roses and baby’s breath in her hair are real roses, with their stems cut short, and then wrapped in wet paper towels, and plastic-wrap.

I really hope you like my take on a Valentine’s look, and I would love your vote over at Project Run and Play!

28 comments for “Project Run and Play, Valentine Look!

1. February 1, 2013 at 10:37 pm

The quality of your work is fabulous! I love all the details. You earned my vote this week (and last) and I hope I get to see the neckline tutorial!

2. February 1, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Ooh I can’t wait to see the tutorial for that neckline. I definitely want to do this! 🙂

3. February 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I am just enthralled with that shirt! The whole outfit is gorgeous. I love all the little touches you added. 😀

4. February 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm

WOW!!!! Amazing, as always.

5. February 1, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Wow! I love this outfit and all the little details are amazing.

6. February 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Once again I am impressed with what you have come up with! How do you keep topping yourself week after week? I’m also impressed at how much you were able to eek out of 3/4 of a yard of fabric for that jacket. The details are again amazing! Great job once again!

7. February 2, 2013 at 12:39 am

I. Love. It. All. your attention to detail in unmatched. seriously.

8. February 2, 2013 at 12:40 am

great job Catherine, those jeans are spot on and the crystal hearts are understated (well as understated as crystal hearts can be ;op) but still the type of detail any little girl will love so much!!!

9. February 2, 2013 at 2:04 am

Beautiful outfit! The top is my favorite part; I would love to make one for my girls!

10. February 2, 2013 at 2:08 am

I love the pants and jacket. But the shirt is my favorite. I want one in my size, as well as ones for my girls. Is that bad that I want to be matchy matchy with the kiddos?
    This is awesome!

11. February 2, 2013 at 3:45 am

This outfit is so very beautiful! I LOVE it! It is obvious that you do everything with great care and craftsmanship. I would love to see how you did the shirt. That is a great detail.

12. February 2, 2013 at 4:52 am

Love it, Catherine! My favorite is the jacket. I would have never guessed that it was corduroy. Well done!

13. February 2, 2013 at 5:01 am

You did a beautiful job! I love that outfit! I love this style! Your poor daughter and her eye! Glad it’s better and you were able to take the pictures! You can’t tell they the makeup. Never would have known had you not said anything. 🙂

14. February 2, 2013 at 5:41 am

I this outfit!! Your design and fabric choice is perfect. Your daughter is beautiful and I could not even tell she had a shiner, make-up does wonders. I sooooo look forward to the tutorial on the amazing top. You have my vote.

15. February 2, 2013 at 6:20 am

Your sewing is SO BEAUTIFUL! I love all the detail and as soon as I saw your knit top I thought, “oh, I so hope she does a tut on that!” You have my vote!

16. February 2, 2013 at 6:21 am

Would also love insight on how you create such fabulous pants!

February 2, 2013 at 7:42 am

Your children are so lucky to have you for their mom. Your sewing is so precise, involved and beautiful. Thank you for sharing your work.

18. February 2, 2013 at 8:19 am

Love how trendy and age appropriate the outfit is. Your daughter looks amazing. I would love a tutorial on the neckline, it looks great. Your skills blow me away every time!

19. February 2, 2013 at 11:47 am

I am in awe of your talent! this look is simply beautiful, adorable, and so appropriate for the challenge and your daughter! What a lucky little girl. 🙂 You are hands down my favorite look this week!

20. February 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Wow…the attention to detail here is amazing. Everything is done with such thought and purpose and skill. This definitely inspires me to be more patient and willing to learn! I love how each piece would be such a statement on its own. And I didn’t notice the shiner between her huge smile and baby blues!

21. February 2, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I voted for you- totally won me over with your look this week! Such beautiful details! I hope you win- I’m really looking forward to the top tutorial. Gorgeous work!

22. February 2, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Simply amazing! The shirt is probably my favorite part, but it all comes together so nicely. I think even my 15-year-old daughter would be thrilled to wear this outfit!

February 3, 2013 at 1:45 am

FAB, Fab, outfit!
    Voting for you again, but please, please post your tute regardless. Very curious as to how you did that neckline.
    designdreamer

24. February 3, 2013 at 6:55 am

What an absolutely incredible outfit- I wish this came in “grown up” size! And how beautifully finished too- I love the bow and ruffles on the blazer 🙂 Poor Emmie- I hope her cheek and eye are back to normal soon!

25. February 3, 2013 at 8:14 am

I love everything about this outfit, these are totally my colors, I especially love the jacket, the print and the colors!!
    Just the right amount of everything without being over the top.
    You’re doing so well in both competitions, may you have continued success!

26. February 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm

You got my vote! Just beautiful! Can’t wait to see your tute on the shirt.

February 5, 2013 at 1:27 am

AMAZING! Love the rose jacket & the lacy shirt is so wonderful too…again it’s the little details that amaze me.

28. February 23, 2013 at 5:51 am