Knock Off Anthropologie Layered V-neck

Have you entered my awesome Birthday Giveaway yet? If not, hop on over and throw your hat into the ring!

Today I have sort of a quick and dirty post, (that isn’t a full tutorial,) but it does show how I altered an existing pattern, to make a knock off shirt from Anthropologie. Anthropologie has been getting in some killer stuff that I have been liking lately (I tend to go through phases where I either LOVE everything, or cannot stand anything in the store that season) This Layered V-neck Tunic really caught my eye,

anthro shirt

 I liked the casual slouchiness of this top, and the layering that really dresses up a comphy knit shirt. I decided that I could easily recreate this look, (with a few alterations that I preferred.) Firstly, I thought a patterned fabric would be more fun for the under layer, and secondy, I have more cleavage than the model, so I wanted a higher front. For the fabric I looked into my stash, and found a navy rayon knit to use as the body, and a stunning silk fabric I got a couple of years ago in the LA fabric district (for only $4 a yard as a designer remnant,) to use as the under layer detail. As the shirt pattern, I used Butterick 3383, since it was a good shape to use as a jumping off point.

B3383

I used this pattern since I had it in my stash already, and it would be pretty easy to alter to look how I wanted, by simply lengthening the body and the sleeves, and changing the neck line. The fact that this pattern was designed to be used with woven fabrics was a bonus too, since I knew it meant that the under layer would have the right ease already built in.

SONY DSC

I began by cutting my silk front out on the fold, I added 4″ in length to get the tunic length I wanted.

SONY DSC

In order to get the V-neck, I just folded the front of the pattern down, it’s a pretty easy alteration.

SONY DSC

I finished the neck off by sewing a thin straight grained strip round the neck on a 3/16 inch seam allowance, that I then top stitched on the strip side, as close to the seam as possible; this will make the seam roll ever so slightly in towards the strip side when folded back.

SONY DSC

I then trimmed the remaining fabric away so that it folded over the back of the seam, just a bit, but enough to give a finished rolled edge.

SONY DSC

I then top stitched as close to the folded edge as possible, using the strip as a small facing, to finish the neck. I stitched an angle in the point of the V too, so that transition is smooth. I used a straight grained strip for the neck so that it couldn’t stretch, since the silk fabric V-neck was cut slightly bias-y, I knew it would warp if not stabilized.

SONY DSC

From the outside all you see is one row of stitching on the edge, and from the inside it is a finished edge.

SONY DSC

Lastly on the silk piece, I sewed a rolled hem onto the bottom, and up the 2 sides, about 5″ up from the bottom, to accommodate the side slits.

SONY DSC

As you can see, the only finished edges are the hem and neck on the silk piece, since all of the other edges were finished as I sewed/serged them into the body of the t shirt.  I don’t have any pictures of the rest of the process, since it is pretty much the same as the pattern directs for the navy knit fabric; the only difference is I added a deeper V-neck, and then when I went to sew the shirt together, I added the silk layer in to the side and shoulder seams (and I added a squared off pocket instead of a rounded one.) I did make the back of the shirt longer than the front too, but other than that the sleeves went on as normal, and I didn’t have any problems getting the knit and the woven layers to play nicely together (which sort of surprised me.)

SONY DSC

So here is the finished top, I am not usually someone who wears leggings, so this was a departure for me!

SONY DSC

I like the length, and how slouchy the rayon fabric is.

SONY DSC

 

Even after raising the neckline, I still wear a camisole under the top, so maybe if I made it again, I would raise the neckline even more, and probably bring the shoulders in a little since I have had problems with my bra strap hanging out (I will probably put tabs in this top to hold it on my bra straps.) These pictures were taken after I had already worn and washed the shirt once, so although the silk picked up a bit of a texture; I decided to not iron it for the pictures, since I probably wouldn’t do it again for later wearings. I like the patterned fabric a lot and I am glad I added it to my top, rather than faithfully reproducing a plain top. The under layer is sewn completely into the shoulder, side, and armhole front seams, so it isn’t at all fiddly, to get it to lay straight. I originally debated whether or not to add a bust dart into the silk layer, but I am glad I didn’t, since I think it would have shown through the knit layer.

I really like how this top turned out, and I think I will wear it a lot, (as I have already worn it 3 times since I made it.) I am happy to have done a little stash busting in the process of sewing it; I have a couple more shirts from Anthro that I want to make my own version of soon, so I will hopefully keep up my stash busting, sewing for myself momentum.

 

  6 comments for “Knock Off Anthropologie Layered V-neck

  1. Ann
    February 9, 2014 at 12:51 am

    That came out so nicely! I think the patterned fabric was a great choice.
    Ann recently posted…Frugal Friday: Chicken Soup with DumplingsMy Profile

  2. Suzanne Winter
    February 9, 2014 at 6:37 am

    I love it!!! It looks perfect on you, and I like the mix of materials and print and solid!

  3. February 9, 2014 at 2:00 pm

    This is a lovely top. I really like the silk print! It looks great on you!
    EmSewCrazy recently posted…Scatterbrained Sewing QuestionsMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge