The last time I was in the US, I was thrift shopping and found 2 bedside tables for only $12 a piece, (even though I didn’t live anywhere near the thrift store, and couldn’t take them back to Korea with me,) I just couldn’t fathom leaving them there when they spoke to me, and I saw so much potential in them. I mean I *know* they are 70s splatter-paint stained, and I know they have dated brass hardware, but they are also all wood, with dovetailed drawers, and very nice molding details.
Well, my mom luckily saw the potential too, and so I was able to deposit them with her for her guest room. 🙂 I didn’t have a chance to do anything with them last trip, so now that I am visiting the states again we were able to get to work on them. The finish was quite old, so we really only needed to rough it up a bit with a sander, in order to have the surface ready to paint (we used a Valspar Ultra paint in satin, not an ad, just an FYI.)
The drawer fronts were puttied and sanded over the original drawer holes, I have a preference for plastic 2 part epoxy putties, simply because I think they sand better and dry faster. (We used a plastic wood putty by DAP, also not an ad.)
We then painted the entire surface of the side tables with 2 coats of paint in a color called “Lead Cast” (5007-2B in Valspar paints) When I paint furniture I intend to antique, I always hand brush with pretty junky brushes, and I brush in all directions, I like the texture this gives a piece when being sanded later. If you notice, the bottom drawer slide on this one was broken, my step dad glued the broken piece back on and clamped the wood together while it dried.
The color is sort of a medium dark grey, with the slightest hint of green (sort of a patina-ed lead color, hence the name.) I always tape the sides of the drawers to keep the paint line nice on the sides, (and so the paint doesn’t gum up the drawer sliding in and out.) Notice the fixed drawer slide.
Next we sanded the edges and any spot we wanted to see the stained wood through, and rubbed a mixture of stain that was half “Early American” and half “Natural” colored on the whole surface, while wiping off any extra (making sure to leave stain in any corners or grooves so it looks settled into those spots.) Lastly I finished them up with one hand brushed coat of water based matte varnish. (I prefer matte because it is more natural with the aged look.)
(I had to include this picture of Sarah photo bombing my pictures, it’s so fun to be here with my mom and sisters 🙂 )
So here is the finished product,
I’m pretty much in love <3 I love this color, and the knobs we chose (the ceramic and brass drops came from Hobby Lobby)
I just drilled a single hole in the upper middle of each drawer, replacing what was previously a wide handle.
I love the classical lines and the timeless appeal of these bedside tables now, (I also love how you really notice all the great molding now too.)
We figured out that with the cost of paint and knobs, etc. that each of these pieces only cost $28 a piece, which is AWESOME! (go ahead and try to find real wood furniture in a store for that!) That’s what I really love about remaking furniture, I can serve my family with my time, and help offer a lifestyle that we could otherwise not afford!
These look amazing in her guest room (I will try to share pictures of the room once it is finished being remodeled, my mom has a dresser and a bed she wants redone.)
I am loving this trip so much, I am missing my kids too though I am having a wonderful time consoling myself with this little pudding…..
he’s 6 months old now, and has the sweetest disposition (he’s very serious, which makes us all act like total crazies to try to win a smile out of him, which is worth more than gold!)